Audioengine A5, A2?
Jun 30, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #47 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by j3ff86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They let you do returns without having to pay shipping charges? This was the response I got when I asked if you had to pay for shipping to return based on the 30 day audition:

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your interest. If you decide to return your speakers under our 30-day trial, you will be responsible for any and all return shipping costs. We of course will TO you for free. Is there anything else I can help you with? Please let us know. Thanks again!

Regards,
Logan

I am very sorry for the misinformation. Ealier this year, I had purchased the A5 speakers and my spouse decided they were too big. I phoned Logan and bought the A2s and he shipped the replacement A2 speakers to me with a return shipping label to return the A5s. YMMV.

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #48 of 78
Yeah, I think YMMV for the return shipping. Their official stance appears to be that you pay shipping back to them, but when my A5's had a problem a few months ago, he shipped me a replacement along with a pre-paid return label.

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #49 of 78
I just received my Audioengine A5's yesterday and let me say, they are awe-inspiring!
bigsmile_face.gif
I'm not an audiophile, but I do appreciate quality, and these reek it; from the build quality to the sound they are top notch. And this is without a DAC or burn-in yet! I left them on and will for a few days before going to work to make sure they break-in properly.
atsmile.gif

One thing I should note: I'm slightly a bass-head by nature of my musical preference (50% trance/hip-hop) and even though these speakers output tons of bass, it just doesn't go low enough and doesn't have that extra kick. I will definitely be looking into a quality subwoofer such as the Velodyne VX-10 for that extra oomph.

Jul 4, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #51 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the A2's on my desk, been using them every day for about a year and a half. I can still pause for a moment and wonder over the big image and clarity that these speakers produce - quite amazing considering their small physical size! About four months ago I bought a NuForce subwoofer to get the last of the bottom octave. Though I do think you can happily live with out a subwoofer as the A2's are at their best at a comfortable SPL in which a subwoofer doesn't add that much...

My speakers are about 6-7" away from the wall and I don't think it causes any problem (you could put up some sound deadening material behind the speakers to minimize any possible reflections). I've placed them on small speaker stands to get the up to ear level ( wich is a must, I prefer mini monitor stands over brackets as I think it gives a more "natural sound image" as the sound comes at you in a straight angle).

In the end, all I'm trying to say is that you will not regret buying the A2
wink_face.gif

Curious really, how do you connect a subwoofer to the a2's?

Cheers.

Jul 6, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #53 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by evt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a sub out on the A2.

I have the A5. Love them. The only thing I hate is the power saving feature.

full6_a5.jpg

There isn't. Instead you take the source to your sub, and then the sub gives a line out through it's crossover, which you plug into the A2s. Such as this.

AS8W_back.jpg

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #55 of 78
To the OP get the A2's I have both.

I'm also a audio engine dealer.

If your desk is so close to the wall- and you are sitting at your desk.. the A5's sound stage won't have quite enough room to develop.

The A5's might sound a bit bassy if they are midway up.

Also the A5 port..... well it needs way more than 6cm.
The A2 port in the front won't suffer from that.

I gave an Ex a pair... I purposely gave her A2's because I hate her musical tastes... and she is half deaf.. so she plays at full blast all the time... annnnnnoyyying......

But the A2's have taken a beating over and over again... we even dj'ed a tiny hotel room with them. (15 people).. and while not earth shaking..everyone was dancing....lol.. of course I wished I had the A5's for that. And the A2's after 2 hours did get quieter as they started to go into thermal shutdown.... but I just turned them down a bit and put some ice slush in a plastic bag and held it to the back and they pepped right back up again...

If you place A5's too close to the rear wall they will be boomy....

Hard to beat these A5 speakers at the price.... you'd have to buy a Nice used Tandberg Integrated amp $150 and Some used Sound Dynamics RTS-3's ($145) and stands.......

you'd lose portability and the Sound Dynamics are no good for a desk top

Other great small speakers .... only if your upstream gear is excellent Like Wadia, Conrad johnson, Audio Research... are ProAc 1SC's but that's $$$$$$$$$$$$$ but worth it....

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #56 of 78
If you go for the A2's you may want to pick up the small stands Audioengine offers. I use them with my A2's and they work great, especially if you just plan on setting them flat on top of your desk at mouse/keyboard level. They are $29, here is a link: Audioengine - Upgrade your music .

Jul 8, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #58 of 78
Ok i have A2 on my desk. I really am missing low end. There is not enough bass and way too much mid bass. Highs are nice. They sound somewhat muddy, "boxy" for now. But they dont have even 5 hours behind.
I am not so impressed for now.
But one more question. I have Dac Magic. Can i connect Unbalanced output (RCA) of DacMagic to A2 (RCA) Input or i will damage speakers?

Jul 12, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #60 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElephantTLK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok i have A2 on my desk. I really am missing low end. There is not enough bass and way too much mid bass. Highs are nice. They sound somewhat muddy, "boxy" for now. But they dont have even 5 hours behind.
I am not so impressed for now.

I agree.

I bought the A2's and enjoyed their excellent sound, from the incredible detail to the warmth of the vocals to the surprizingly wide soundstage.

But I kept missing the bass.

I can't fault them for it, I mean, jeez, they're 5" tall.

Full Disclosure: I love deep bass. Everything I have has deep, full bass...the sound rigs in my living room, bedroom, vacation home, all my PC setups and my car...all have subs.

The A2's were the only speakers I had that didn't...no wonder I missed the bass!

So I called Audioengine and bought the S8 sub. I'm hooking it up later today, and I'll tell you my impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back