Audioengine A5, A2?
Jun 25, 2009 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

ElephantTLK

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I want to buy some speakers for my computer. Right now i have Soudsticks II but i want to upgrade to something better.
Now my main problem is my room. I dont have a lot of space and my desk is about 6cm from wall. So i dont know how will A5 sound from that position. Around 6 cm from wall? Is this enough space?
So what to do now? I dont know if A2 will be enough for me. Especially bass...

Here are pics:

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 78
I've listened to both and was not as impressed with them as most people have been.

The A2's have more bass then you might think by their diminutive size. It's more mid-bass than actual bass but the effect works fairly well.

The A5's bass is more convincing, but I heard them in the middle of a room so I don't know they would do against a wall. In the thread with pictures of peoples computer rigs, there are plenty of setups with A5's against the wall, and nobody has really complained of boomy bass so you might be alright if you went that route.

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 78
So is there enough space for A5? I am afraid that bass will be boomy. So its safe to go and buy A5? I cannot return them because shop where do have Audioengines do no offer 30day audition, returnpolicy...

Jun 25, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 78
6 cm is not enough space for optimal sound quality. You may not just get boomy bass, but resonance peaks in the frequency response as well. I would get the A2 for a small desk like yours. However, if in the near future you plan to get a bigger desk (more width and depth) or get proper stands for your speakers, go with the A5s.

Jun 26, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #9 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've listened to both and was not as impressed with them as most people have been.

The A2's have more bass then you might think by their diminutive size. It's more mid-bass than actual bass but the effect works fairly well.

The A5's bass is more convincing, but I heard them in the middle of a room so I don't know they would do against a wall. In the thread with pictures of peoples computer rigs, there are plenty of setups with A5's against the wall, and nobody has really complained of boomy bass so you might be alright if you went that route.

I'm kind of surprised to hear you say that. What would you recommend in that price range instead?

Not trying to aggravate anyone, just want an honest opinion
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #11 of 78
For tight spaces up against a wall I'd look for front ported speakers. KRK makes front ported studio monitors. But pro audio style powered monitors will require some sort of pre-amp or volume knob.

There are other powered front ported speakers as well. I can't comment on which ones are good. I've only listened to the KRK lower end monitors briefly at a Guitar Center. Haven't heard any others.

Or find a rear ported speaker that can sound good with the port stuffed with tightly rolled up socks or a port bung. You'll lose some bass but avoid the problems with the port being too close to the wall.

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #12 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a lot of reading about the A5's before I bought them a couple weeks ago. My impression was six inches is about as close as they should be to a wall.

That's actually the minimum gap/distance recommended on the Audioengine website/manual.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For tight spaces up against a wall I'd look for front ported speakers. KRK makes front ported studio monitors.

The Audioengine A2s are front ported.

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #13 of 78
mine are placed around 5-6" away from the wall--they are also placed on top of textbooks.

the bass seems to be OK, if not the slightest boomy. but the slight 'boominess' is like adding a sub!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #14 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's actually the minimum gap/distance recommended on the Audioengine website/manual.

Oh. That would explain why I saw so many people here say it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #15 of 78
Mine is roughly 6" from the wall but I gain a few inches because I angle it toward me. My desk is 63" long 25" deep and it's a little cramped with 23" acd mbp and tablet but it's all good
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back