Audioengine A2's to Paradigm Atoms/Titans?
Sep 15, 2009 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Mysteek

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if it's a worthwhile upgrade to go from my current audioengine a2's to the paradigm atoms or titans? I would also need to invest in a receiver of some sort.

I want a more ''airy'' sound with more bass. Sure the A2's are very punchy but they don't give off a natural feel in my opinion.

Any suggestions/advice is appreciated.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sochee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would think that any passive speakers have an edge over powered speakers..

Why do you think this? Do you mean that a $300 pair of passives should be better than a $300 pair of actives? That seems reasonable, however the OP stated that a receiver would also be needed, so this cost should be factored in.

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 15
Yes. They are better. I happen to have both the titans and a pair of A2's. I upgraded to the Onix Ref 1's so the A2's are not in use. Right now my titans are used for my TV and my A2's are in their original box.

The paradigms are easily more natural feeling than the A2s even though I power them with a low end onkyo. If space permits, paradigm is the better option hands down.

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 15
Sorry for my ignorance, but is there anything I should be looking for in a receiver if I want passive bookshelves?

I want to connect my macbook pro to the receiver, I think it can do bit perfect optical out, so would I need to find something with a digital input jack?

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 15
If you want to skip buying a DAC, you'll need a receiver that has a digital input. Most of the newer receivers will that have. There are only a few ways you can go at this. DAC + vintage receiver. New stereo receiver such as the HK series. New low end AV receiver (advise against this unless you need to hook up video stuff also). DAC + integrated amp.

At first i went with the AV receiver route but it hinders sound sometimes so then I went the DAC + vintage receiver route. If you don't want that hassle, I would suggest looking into a HK stereo receiver. It lets you hook up your paradigms and has the option of adding a sub later if you wish if I remember correctly.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 15
My friend advised me just to buy any used one, I know as of now, I can get a Harman / Kardon AVR 100 Receiver for $200 CND. But $200 is out of my budget, I was hoping for something along the $120-$150 range. Mind if I request a few suggestions for what models to search for?

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 15
$200 is out of your budget? You already have a usable system, just keep it until you can afford it. No rush right? Better spending the extra $80 than getting some junk for $120.

The Paradigms will be a nice speaker and well worth the upgrade in the long term, but don't make small steps. Something like a Titan with a proper receiver will be a very noticeable upgrade. Very.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 15
Oh, sorry - I just meant that $200 for a receiver plus however much atoms/titans would cost is out of my budget. What I was going to do was sell my A2's and use that money to get the receiver/speakers and hopefully not have to shell out more than $70-$100.

But from what you're saying, you approve of the HK AVR 100 for a $200 price tag?

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysteek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But from what you're saying, you approve of the HK AVR 100 for a $200 price tag?

I don't necessarily disapprove. It should sound ok because Harman stuff in general sounds fine, and I assume it's used and still in good condition. What I'm saying is that it might be a better option than, say, a 15 year old receiver that cost $100.

I'd just try to save up more money because it's better waiting and making a big leap than just baby steps. Titans + a proper receiver would be worth waiting for, even if you have to save for a year.

As an example, as I have a decent paying job, I can afford some decent stuff, and I'm looking for a new sub. I'd rather wait for a year or two so I can spring for that $2000 sub than settle for that $1200 sub I can buy now. I have a working sub and I'm in no rush to replace it unless I can actually get what I want.

Sep 17, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 15
Have you considered getting a Nuforce Icon? It has a variety of inputs, a decent DAC, ok headphone amp, and an apparently amazing ability to drive ridiculously large and nice speakers. 6moons did a pretty lengthy review of the speaker amp part of the Icon and were very impressed.

I am constantly tempted by it for everything that it can do in such a tiny and reasonably priced package.

I have a dream of pairing an Icon with some Paradigm atoms and my headphones one day.

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #13 of 15
i would have recommended it but $225 for the Icon would be stretching his budget.

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #14 of 15
Alright I've decided to take your advice and perhaps sell off my Grado SR-325i's, Shure E500's and my A2's. I wonder how much they're worth used..?

My hope is that I can maybe hit a $600+ budget after selling them and then stay far, far away from my usual practice of ''cheaping out''.

Assuming I can get about $650 total, and keeping in mind I would need to set aside some of it for a receiver, would you think this would be enough to satisfy my needs? I may have forgot to mention that this will be mainly for music, but also maybe 15-20% gaming.

Thanks

Sep 27, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysteek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Assuming I can get about $650 total, and keeping in mind I would need to set aside some of it for a receiver, would you think this would be enough to satisfy my needs? I may have forgot to mention that this will be mainly for music, but also maybe 15-20% gaming.

Thanks

Sure, I would be pretty satisfied myself for a music system if I had $600 budget. There are lots of great $300-400 bookshelf speakers, and $300 can easily buy you a (used) entry level hifi amp such as a Cambridge Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back