Audioengine A2s. Thoughts?
Aug 7, 2011 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Vikingatheart

500+ Head-Fier
I got mine a few months ago, and love them more and more everyday. I really couldn't be more impressed with the sound they kick out for the size that they are. Also, I think they are well priced when considering the build quality, sound and all the nice packaging that they come in.

Anyone else like 'em? Hate 'em? I'm open to discussion about anything related to these little buggers.

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 39
bumpity bump

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 39
I have A2's but rarely listen to them now. I've found better synergy for my headphones with a different configuration of my dac, and the magic it once had with the A2's is the casualty.

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 39
I haven't listen to a set of those, but aren't they incredibly expensive? I don't think that would be a fair comparison. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 39
Well you should try them.. A2 is about 200USD while A5 is at 325USD . Its not really fair, but its the same brand anyway, I do think the upgrade is worth it despite the price difference

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #7 of 39
Oh, I thought you meant the AE5. The MSRP for those is something around 15K. Haha I am willing to bet the A5 is loads better, but I have space limitations. Someday I might upgrade though.

Aug 14, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 39
Question about the A2s...Do these lil' guys have good volume??  I listen to everything from Classical to Metal (all sorts of genres), and even sometimes Pop.  I sometimes like to turn up my music (very rarely all the way), can you do that with the A2s?  That's the only thing that kinda prevents me from going with them because I don't want to end blowing them up or hearing any distortion at all.

Aug 14, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #9 of 39

Quote:
Question about the A2s...Do these lil' guys have good volume??  I listen to everything from Classical to Metal (all sorts of genres), and even sometimes Pop.  I sometimes like to turn up my music (very rarely all the way), can you do that with the A2s?  That's the only thing that kinda prevents me from going with them because I don't want to end blowing them up or hearing any distortion at all.

Hard to say. There is no limiting circuitry in the A2s so it is possible to overdrive them. I have yet to turn them up to the point of hearing distortion, but I also listen to them at reasonable levels. These things can get pretty darn loud, but if you're looking for speakers to blast, I wouldn't look for these. They fill up a bedroom with sound quite nicely, but this is not a party speaker by any means. 

Also, your definition of loud and mine could be totally different. 

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #11 of 39
You can hear them for sure, but its not very loud. While in my bedroom though, its plenty loud. Also, these speakers are rather directional (probably not using the right term.) The better the triangle you create with them, the better they sound. 

Try to create something like this (the circle being you), and they sound fantastic. Very neutral yet fun and engaging.

Aug 27, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #13 of 39
My gf has a pair of A2s and she loves them. I think they're quite nice especially for their size.

Aug 29, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #14 of 39
^Are they good for Classical, Electronica, and Rock/Metal?  I think if I had to narrow it down, those would be the three/four genres I listen to the most.  The A2s look really nice, but for about $10-$20 cheaper, the Swan D1080MkII08 become another option, with the M-Audio AV40s following it.  I hear a lot about the Swans, and some say that they can be compared with the A5s.  If that's true, I'll take the Swans.

Aug 29, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #15 of 39
I haven't heard the other speakers you listed, but I personally think that the A2s are good for all the genres you listed. They are fairly neutral so the mids and high end really shine through, making complicated pieces of music very clear and accurate. While I personally think that the bass on these things is great, there isn't a ton of sub bass to make EDM sound club like. You may like the bass and not feel the need for any more, or you may not think there is enough. Heck, you could maybe even find that there is to much bass! My suggestion is try them out, and if you don't like them, I believe Audioengine has a 30 day money back guarantee. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back