Audioengine A2's are getting HOT
May 14, 2011 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Citan

100+ Head-Fier
Quick question.

computer>>Nuforce ICON HDP>>Audioengine S8 Subwoofer>>Audioengine A2

I have the volume turned all the way up on the A2's as I believed this was the proper way to set them up when using the HDP to control the overall volume.  The problem is they are getting very hot, I literally cant even keep my finger touching the rear of the cabinet.  I am I doing something wrong or what?  Should I just set the volume knob on the A2's to halfway and call it a day, is this normal?

Thanks!

May 14, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 12
That is absolutely not the correct way to do it. By turning up the volume all the way on the monitors and down on the source, you're just amplifying noise. Turn them down.

May 14, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 12
I don't know of any particular rule of thumb. Try turning your source all the way up and then turn up the volume on the monitors to a level that is louder than you will ever listen to, but not excessively loud.

May 14, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 12
No. There is no rule of thumb. 

You adjust to your listening liking. 

I would have the max volume set at the max I would like to hear my audio, then turn it down on the source.

I would never max the monitors volume. Like revolink24 said. You're amplifying noise.

May 14, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 12
As high as possible. You want your source to be set high and your amp (or active speaker) to be set low.

May 15, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 12

[size=medium]
The A2 and N22 amp sleep/idle/standby mode is applied right after the input signal stops.  There won't be any obvious indication that the amps have gone into idle but power consumption goes down to around 2-3watts.  The amp will then wake up as soon as input signal is re-applied.  

Citan - as far as the rear panel getting hot, that seems normal as we use all-analog class a/b amps - but did you try adjusting your input source(s)?  Bringing up your source levels should help.  We have a large heatsink inside the powered side, which is cooled by the woofer when air is drawn in and out through the cabinet port slot.  Anyway, the heat you're feeling is from the heatsink as it's attached to the inside of the steel rear panel.

Regardless, if you don't think your speakers are performing the way you think they should, by all means contact customer support and they will help you out (support@audioengineusa.com).  

I hope this info helps.  
Brady 
Audioengine
[/size]

May 15, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:

[size=medium]
The A2 and N22 amp sleep/idle/standby mode is applied right after the input signal stops.  There won't be any obvious indication that the amps have gone into idle but power consumption goes down to around 2-3watts.  The amp will then wake up as soon as input signal is re-applied.  

Citan - as far as the rear panel getting hot, that seems normal as we use all-analog class a/b amps - but did you try adjusting your input source(s)?  Bringing up your source levels should help.  We have a large heatsink inside the powered side, which is cooled by the woofer when air is drawn in and out through the cabinet port slot.  Anyway, the heat you're feeling is from the heatsink as it's attached to the inside of the steel rear panel.

Regardless, if you don't think your speakers are performing the way you think they should, by all means contact customer support and they will help you out (support@audioengineusa.com).  

I hope this info helps.  
Brady 
Audioengine
[/size]

Wow, thanks for stopping by to help!  If the heat is nothing to worry about, then I am fine with it.  I just thought that when the amps went into an idle state that they would cool back down.  Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back