Audioengine A2 vs. Wharfedale Diamond 9.0/1 or 10.0/1 vs. ?
Sep 20, 2009 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

aphonic

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have had a Tripath TIO digital amplifier card for almost nine years now, but I have only used it with some twenty-year-old Sharp CP-155ER speakers
redface.gif
, that got left over from a stereo set. Now I am just getting into improving my low-budget setup and would like to get something slightly better for the ears
normal_smile .gif
. From reading different reviews and forums, I basically narrowed it down to these choices:

Audioengine A2 vs. Wharfedale Diamond 9.0/9.1 or Wharfedale Diamond 10.0/10.1 with Tripath TIO

A2 are active, 2x15W RMS at 0.05% THD and have a frequency range of 65Hz-22kHz @ +/-2db.

WD's are passive, 6ohm and have a sensitivity of 86db. FRs for them are 9.0 60Hz-24kHz, 9.1 50Hz-24kHz, 10.0 55Hz-24kHz, 10.1 48Hz-24kHz, all measured at -6db. WD9s have ports in the back and WD10s in the front. The recommended amp is 15-75W (9.0/10.0) and 20-100W (9.1/10.1).

Tripath TIO is a class-T digital amp that provides 2x15W RMS into 4ohm at 10% THD+N and 2x10W RMS into 4ohm at 0.1% THD+N (I could also get another Tripath amp with 2x25W RMS into 4ohm at 10% THD+N and 2X15W RMS into 4ohm at 0.1% THD+N).

As a source I use my computer's integrated audio output (I am getting an external audiocard upgrade soon) and FLACs/CDs. I always listen to music at a quite low volume, a bit lower than people usually. The music is non-vocal, mostly ambient, instrumental rock, soundcapes and such. I am not going to get a sub and I know that both choices would give me better lows than my current speakers. The room size is small, about 3x4 meters (or 10x13 feet). So..

.. Could someone tell me what kind of difference there would be between the AE2 and WD9/10's in the sound?

.. Would the Tripath amp be sufficient to power the WDs (for my needs) ?

.. Are there some other speakers in the same price and size range, that could give a somewhat open and clear sound with crisp highs and wide soundscape?

Oct 18, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I have had a Tripath TIO digital amplifier card for almost nine years now, but I have only used it with some twenty-year-old Sharp CP-155ER speakers
redface.gif
, that got left over from a stereo set. Now I am just getting into improving my low-budget setup and would like to get something slightly better for the ears
normal_smile .gif
. From reading different reviews and forums, I basically narrowed it down to these choices:

Audioengine A2 vs. Wharfedale Diamond 9.0/9.1 or Wharfedale Diamond 10.0/10.1 with Tripath TIO

A2 are active, 2x15W RMS at 0.05% THD and have a frequency range of 65Hz-22kHz @ +/-2db.

WD's are passive, 6ohm and have a sensitivity of 86db. FRs for them are 9.0 60Hz-24kHz, 9.1 50Hz-24kHz, 10.0 55Hz-24kHz, 10.1 48Hz-24kHz, all measured at -6db. WD9s have ports in the back and WD10s in the front. The recommended amp is 15-75W (9.0/10.0) and 20-100W (9.1/10.1).

Tripath TIO is a class-T digital amp that provides 2x15W RMS into 4ohm at 10% THD+N and 2x10W RMS into 4ohm at 0.1% THD+N (I could also get another Tripath amp with 2x25W RMS into 4ohm at 10% THD+N and 2X15W RMS into 4ohm at 0.1% THD+N).

As a source I use my computer's integrated audio output (I am getting an external audiocard upgrade soon) and FLACs/CDs. I always listen to music at a quite low volume, a bit lower than people usually. The music is non-vocal, mostly ambient, instrumental rock, soundcapes and such. I am not going to get a sub and I know that both choices would give me better lows than my current speakers. The room size is small, about 3x4 meters (or 10x13 feet). So..

.. Could someone tell me what kind of difference there would be between the AE2 and WD9/10's in the sound?

.. Would the Tripath amp be sufficient to power the WDs (for my needs) ?

.. Are there some other speakers in the same price and size range, that could give a somewhat open and clear sound with crisp highs and wide soundscape?

I think the T-amp will have a hard time with a 6 ohm/86 db speaker. I used a Super T amp with some old Paradigms, which I think were 86-88 db and there was plenty of clipping at high volumes. I have a Trends TA-10.1 that I can test out with my 6 ohm/88db Sonus Faber Concertinos - PM me. The Concertinos did terribly with a Sony 555ES receiver, which definitely underpowered them. A step up to a Classe CAP-101 was vastly superior.

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 4
In a small room such as yours, the A2 would be a great choice. I do all my non-headphone listening these days on my AudioEngines. Beats the old NAD component setup I once had with several different high-end bookshelf speakers hands-down, with two exceptions:

1) the low end is a little out of control, especially when sitting on cheap/hollow Ikea furniture -- some people consider it verboten around here, but I use the iTunes EQ for general listening (TV & some music) to adjust for this problem
2) the volume control may be difficult for your preferred low-level listening, as it is very touchy (they get super loud super quick!) -- again, controversial, but I use the computer's volume control for general listening to fine-tune the volume

I do critical listening with headphones only, so I haven't found a need for anything else. The A2s are just all around a great value, and helps you to avoid having something more cumbersome taking up space in a small room.

--Chris

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #4 of 4
If you already own a Tio amp then great go for the wharfedale diamond 10.0 or if you want cheaper speakers the 9.0 but the 10.0 are better, ive owned both and the 9.1 but I preferred the 9.0 & 10.0. I don’t think I would upgrade the amp if I was you but a good alternative to the Tio is a cheap lepai TA2020 off ebay and it’s cheaper than the TIO amp. I have owned both and there is nothing in them. I have driven a set of 9.0s with a Tio and It sounded very nice but it was limited at higher volumes I would say the TA2020 with an external power supply is a little better. The power is always going to be limited with T-amps in my experience, I have not come across a powerful T-amp yet that can come near a decentish solid state integrated for volume or power, but in general I think T-amps do sound a bit better.

The new 10.0 diamonds are brilliant speakers for the money, by far the best diamond yet and they look gorgeous.

I have this set up now in a second system and it is really good fun. It is not better but sometimes prefer it to my main system and which has a set of Proac reference 8 signatures in it.

or if you want a real bargain go for a set of second hand mordaunt short ms10i, these are still one of my favourite budget hifi speakers and they sell for pennies now, these have a open sound with crisp highs but are still very muscial and will be much better soundquality than audioengine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back