Audioengine A2 vs Creative Gigaworks T40 Series 2 ?
Dec 27, 2010 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

kingpintps

100+ Head-Fier
Okay I really did not want to post a thread on these..but I've really been scratching my head over the last few days and can't make up my mind between these two. I tried searching the forums a lot, but was unable to find direct impressions between these 2.

So here is what I require:

I listen to mostly electronic music (trance) and prefer a airy transparent treble rich sound with tight well defined bass. To give a fair idea I use q-Jays as my IEM, and I love their sound including the bass. I am not a bass-head, but I do want a satisfying bottom end to the music.

Space is no constraint
I can't stretch my budget to the A5
Swan speakers are not available in India
Good build quality is a must
Impossible to demo such expensive speakers in India (most of the dealers normally get a mild stroke if you ask them to even open the box)
Don't care about the headphone jack or controls.
Plan to buy a Asus XONAR DX for sound card.

I thought about M-Audio AV40, but not sure about their build quality and reliability. I would be open to suggestions though.

What I need help with: Direct sound only comparison between the T40 and A2. Both are available readily in India and at pretty much the same price point - about $210-$230 USD.

Things I am worried about - Tiny sound and poor bass from the A2 (they look really small) - Can the bass and sound of T40 be better than the A2s. I really can't say if the T40 are in the same league as the A2 at the same price, so I need help!

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 36
I believed the gigawork is better but you can't have quality sound with very small speaker and budget but nice for multimedia, you really need a sub-woofer for bass.

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 36
Thanks. Yeah I am pretty realistic about what to expect from $200, but I cannot afford to stretch my budget beyond this price point for now.  Have you heard both the T40 and the A2?

To give everyone an idea about my current setup - I am using a cheap Creative 2.1 Inspire speaker (about $30) with on-board audio. Crappy I know, but this is exactly why I am looking for an upgrade. Life was a lot simpler before becoming a member here. 

Also found a pair of M-Audio AV40 for the same price - $210, but I am seriously concerned about their build quality after reading a few incidents reported here.

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 36
The AudioEngine A2's have quite some bass for being small speakers. It's a little goofy sounding to be honest, but it's there. I haven't heard the Gigaworks speakers, but if I were to take a guess, I'd assume the A2 kills them. They're actually damn good speakers, just don't expect a lot of bass. I wouldn't be surprised if they have more than the Gigaworks speakers.

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 36
I've heard both... the A2 is a bit better, but it's not a huge margin. Neither of them offers impressive bass.

Would it be cheaper to order online and have it shipped to you? In North America the T40 is about $150 while the A2 is closer to $200, and the AV40s can be found for $100-120.

Really though, if you're looking for something with more bass and space is no concern, ditch the whole computer speakers/monitor thing and get some used stereo equipment. An old receiver and bookshelf speakers can easily come in under $100.

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #6 of 36
Quote:
The AudioEngine A2's have quite some bass for being small speakers. It's a little goofy sounding to be honest, but it's there. I haven't heard the Gigaworks speakers, but if I were to take a guess, I'd assume the A2 kills them. They're actually damn good speakers, just don't expect a lot of bass. I wouldn't be surprised if they have more than the Gigaworks speakers.

So coming from my current creative inspire setup (which includes a sub) I would assume that the bass on the A2 should be sufficient for me. Currently the cheap sub I have produces very poor textured bass, and I would certainly be very happy with a system that outputs more controlled low end even if it is slightly less in quantity.

Quote:
I've heard both... the A2 is a bit better, but it's not a huge margin. Neither of them offers impressive bass.

Would it be cheaper to order online and have it shipped to you? In North America the T40 is about $150 while the A2 is closer to $200, and the AV40s can be found for $100-120.

Really though, if you're looking for something with more bass and space is no concern, ditch the whole computer speakers/monitor thing and get some used stereo equipment. An old receiver and bookshelf speakers can easily come in under $100.

Thanks, I think the general consensus is that A2 > T40 and even if it is slight, as they are going at the same price, A2 would be the better choice. 

I am actually not too inclined towards used equipment, and I don't think a new separate receiver and passive speakers would fit in my budget ($200) or be available easily in India. Oh and something as bulky as speakers are very very expensive to buy from US and have shipped. I checked a couple of online stores and with shipping and duties the final cost is almost doubled! 

I did some more searching and the ADAM Audio A3X 2 X 25W Powered Studio Monitor is also available here at around $340. I've read some good things about ADAM Audio A5 and A7 - so what kind of a step up would the A3X be compared to A2 and T40. And would it be worth spending another $150? I am feeling that a 2.75 Inch drivers on A2 and T40, would have difficulty producing decent low end, but the 4.5 inch drivers on the A3X might be sufficient!

Dec 28, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #7 of 36
The Adam is studio monitor and is sold as single unit. At that price I guess you'll get one speaker, if you're willing to double that. That system will be killer. I love to buy those but money and availability constraint made me go with a pair of Yamaha HS50M.

Dec 28, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #8 of 36
Yeah, you're right. I missed that - it is indeed the price per piece. Definitely out of range then, I can't spend so much right now.
http://www.bajaao.com/adam-audio-powered-studio-monitor-made-germany-p-6498.html

Even the Yamaha are too expensive for me (Almost $480USD)
http://www.bajaao.com/yamaha-hs50m-powered-studio-monitor-pair-p-6511.html

Quote:
The Adam is studio monitor and is sold as single unit. At that price I guess you'll get one speaker, if you're willing to double that. That system will be killer. I love to buy those but money and availability constraint made me go with a pair of Yamaha HS50M.

I think I'm loosing track here by reading up on other options. I should spend max about $200 USD for now and wait another year or two before upgrading to studio monitors. So back to the 3 options:

1. Audioengine A2 - 
2. Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II  - Inferior sound to A2 ?
3. M-Audio AV40 - Inferior build quality compared to A2 and T40?

All 3 are same price. Need help or any other suggestions please.

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #9 of 36
What about edifiers 2.0 range, the Edifier R1900TII has a 5-inch low-freq driver and is around $200, or the Edifier Studio R1600T Plus also has a 5 inch low freq driver and is around $180, no idea what they sound like though, but i have the edifier s730 and its a very nice sounding 2.1 system for the money and very well made aswell.
Or the Swan D1080MkII is also aorund $200.

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #10 of 36
Honestly, most of them in that price range will kind of sound the same. Get whichever is cheapest for you.

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #11 of 36
^ Thanks, I've decided to go with Audioengine A2. Don't have confidence in build quality of AV40 and as you said the sound is better than T40.

Thanks everyone for their input.

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #12 of 36
Want me to confuse you, then read on. I had the T20, they was very well built and I had used them for 2 years before selling them off to my friend recently after buying the Yamaha pair. I do agree with Armaegis' assessment though, get whichever you feel safer with, they're going to be better than your current stuffs, anyway.

EDIT: you meant the bad cap in AV40, I read your post too quick then, still the T20 sounds was very good for its price hehe.

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #13 of 36
Thanks. I like Edifier stuff and already own a couple of their portable speakers for my laptop. But again the problem is availability in India. I have not seen the Edifier Studio range here - they only have the multimedia and signature series...which I'm not too keen on.  S730 is nice, but if I would be spending that kind of money, I would be looking at something more refined.

Also as I wrote earlier the Swans are unfortunately not available in India..if they were I would have had no problem going for the 200MKII or MKIII - their sound quality might have been worth the extra investment. :)

Quote:
What about edifiers 2.0 range, the Edifier R1900TII has a 5-inch low-freq driver and is around $200, or the Edifier Studio R1600T Plus also has a 5 inch low freq driver and is around $180, no idea what they sound like though, but i have the edifier s730 and its a very nice sounding 2.1 system for the money and very well made aswell.
Or the Swan D1080MkII is also aorund $200.

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #14 of 36
Wow, I was considering the T20 because of a lower price point meaning that I can save up for those ADAMs or Rockets a year down the line.

Quick question - When you purchased the T20 were you coming from a 2.1 or a similar cheap setup? and if yes, did the upgrade seem worth it? 
This will help put my current situation in perspective. I would rather save the extra $100 off the T40 or A2 right now and hopefully get a pair of A3X next December.

Quote:
Want me to confuse you, then read on. I had the T20, they was very well built and I had used them for 2 years before selling them off to my friend recently after buying the Yamaha pair. I do agree with Armaegis' assessment though, get whichever you feel safer with, they're going to be better than your current stuffs, anyway.

EDIT: you meant the bad cap in AV40, I read your post too quick then, still the T20 sounds was very good for its price hehe.

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #15 of 36
I was coming from a 5.1 setup of Logitech X530, they were horrible compared to the T20, muddy bass (someone here called it single note bass and I agree with him), unclear but thick mid and a recessed, unclear treble. I was very happy with the T20 when I started using it (before burning in they sound kinda stiff, though). If you plan to save up for an upgrade for next year, go for it. I don't think you would be disappointed considering the T40 only add a little more bass and partitially fix the low volume problem of the T20 (I tend to listen at low level and at the level I like, it does not provide a very clear image of the music, not muddy, just some cue is too subtle to hear).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back