Audioengine A2 versus A5
Mar 21, 2010 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bloodandsoil

Head-Fier
Greetings. I am interested in a review or comments on the differences between these two speakers?

I'll be using them with my laptop (cheapo integrated sound board) and later on with my desktop which has a Creative Labs X-Fi sound card.

Thanks in advance!

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 11
the difference is $150 and a 5" driver vs a 2.75" driver. Obviously the bigger the driver the better the speaker will sound. At $350 the A5s probably offer a better value. The only reason to go with the A2s would be if you wanted really small speakers to save desk space/be portable/whatever or save some money.

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #3 of 11
if your room is large enough and you can have a space after the speakers, you can go for A5 as their bass will go out from the back. If you are planning to place the speaker next to your computer monitor then A2 will be better. A5 simply need more space.

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 11
I picked up a paif of A5s a few weeks ago and I love them. I have never heard the A2s so I can't really compare the two of them but I am glad I went with the larger 5s just for the extra bass. They don't really take up that much room on my desk but if you don't have a lot of area them might be a bit large for you.

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 11
I have owned and heard both. The A5 is worth the extra, the A2's bass does not have much tone. All I mainly heard was the midbass on the A2 and the sound is narrow compared to the A5. The A5 has a bigger sound in general at the same volume, the soundstage is wider but I feel the highs of both are similar and nothing too different. The highs sound recessed compared to my M-Audio BX5a, I always seem to miss the treble when I listen to the audioengines. The audioengines in general sounds mellow compared to the M-Audio alternatives. I find the A5 isn't too picky about the source, but for the BX5a if the source is bad it will sound harsh.

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 11
I find the exact opposite is true. My audioengine a5's sound very different on every single source I've tried. Even opamp changes are very noticeable. Also using an audio-gd fun as the source and the highs are very pronounced, almost shrill (still burning in). The soundstage changes in depth and precision with the different sources I've tried. Only the width stays the same according to placement. I did originally find the a5's to be mellow when I was using a tube dac...

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #7 of 11
Coming from having M-Audio and Audioengines, I would say so because the A5 isn't nearly as picky as the BX5a. The differences are not as big as on the BX5a. My BX5a improved noticeably more than the A5 after switching from my Musiland 02 DAC to my current HDP. I think the OP would be fine using the X-Fi with his A5.

Mar 24, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #9 of 11
I haven't heard the A5 nor the BX5a but I can offer a heartfelt vote against the A2. The A2 treble is horribly recessed - and worse, it's recessed behind a wall of fake-sounding midbass that gets way out in front of whatever kind of music you're playing. Stands, wedges and repositioning didn't materially change this problem. Very aggressive EQ made them listenable, but even with that I never actually enjoyed them.

YMMV of course. Some people seem to like the effect. But I thoroughly hated mine. They were a horrible comedown from my beloved Swans M200 (lost during a move overseas unfortunately). For me even the $60 Swans S3W speakers (a huge bargain, now discontinued) were a vast sonic upgrade.

But I am the kind of listener for whom bass is the whipped cream and cherry atop the dessert of everything else. Listeners for whom bass is the foundation everything else is built upon would likely not agree with my choices.

Mar 24, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the A5 nor the BX5a but I can offer a heartfelt vote against the A2. The A2 treble is horribly recessed - and worse, it's recessed behind a wall of fake-sounding midbass that gets way out in front of whatever kind of music you're playing. Stands, wedges and repositioning didn't materially change this problem. Very aggressive EQ made them listenable, but even with that I never actually enjoyed them.

YMMV of course. Some people seem to like the effect. But I thoroughly hated mine. They were a horrible comedown from my beloved Swans M200 (lost during a move overseas unfortunately). For me even the $60 Swans S3W speakers (a huge bargain, now discontinued) were a vast sonic upgrade.

But I am the kind of listener for whom bass is the whipped cream and cherry atop the dessert of everything else. Listeners for whom bass is the foundation everything else is built upon would likely not agree with my choices.

I have to say as someone that owns both the A2 and the A5, I agree with the post above. If size is the consideration for getting an A2 you might want to look elsewhere. If you have the room, I don't think I have heard a better value than the A5. Personally, I think the A5 is a truly incredible speaker.

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by muad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well my xfi titanium sounded like krap, so I went the external dac route. All Im saying is that the highs on the audioengines are not recessed....

To me, the treble does sound recessed compared to comparable M-Audio speakers. It is extremely evident when I compare the BX5a and A5, I dare say it is a "day and night difference" that anyone can notice when compared.

I do suggest avoiding the A2 entirely if possible, I was not very content with it and I definitely see an urge to upgrade if I only owned the A2 as it does leave more to be desired especially in the bass department. There are better alternatives than the A2 for the same price or less. The A5 is easily a better value product than the A2 to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back