audioengine A2+ & Sub vs. audioengine A5+
Jul 21, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #16 of 25
Comparing them to what? I honestly hate the audioengine a2's finding them far from flat in response and not even that musical due to the size of the driver.  I considered them missing bass extension,with squeeky highs that irritated after a few minutes.  I would rather spend $50-$100 more and get the real deal, the JBL's are a league above in every way, and before you scream I am some fan I dont even own them I use KRK RP6's and ADAM A7x for listening and production. 

Honestly audioengine speakers are only good if you are comparing them to a multimedia speaker, all IMHO.

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #17 of 25
Comparing them to what? I honestly hate the audioengine a2's finding them far from flat in response and not even that musical due to the size of the driver.  I considered them missing bass extension,with squeeky highs that irritated after a few minutes.  I would rather spend $50-$100 more and get the real deal, the JBL's are a league above in every way, and before you scream I am some fan I dont even own them I use KRK RP6's and ADAM A7x for listening and production. 

Honestly audioengine speakers are only good if you are comparing them to a multimedia speaker, all IMHO.

+1

The A2s are what they are: speakers with tiny drivers that are a big compromise over larger driver powered studio monitors. IMO, they are the best of the "toy" speakers that are computer multimedia speakers, but still toys.

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #18 of 25
Thanks for all the info everyone! I will be getting the JBL LSR305's as soon as I find a place to live. 

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #20 of 25
I grabbed them for $130 each and I'm so glad I did. They sound absolutely incredible.

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #22 of 25
I hope I can get the chatter going again in here.  Has anyone heard of Leem K50 monitors? I don't know anything about the company (Korean, it would seem), nor can I find any English language reviews of the monitors. Based on the specs (see below or click on link), do you think I'll be well served?  I haven't heard them.  (They're in Seoul... I'm not.)

I was considering a pair of the Audioengine A2+ for home listening.  I would have them paired with my TV and my laptop.

I can't find the JBL LSR305 here in Korea, but I did find the Leem K50 at an approximate $210 pricetab for the pair.
 http://www.shsound.com/mall/m_mall_detail.php?ps_ctid=07200000&ps_goid=32464&ps_page=1

(Sorry, I'm trying to attach a pic so you don't have to click on the link, but Head-Fi won't allow me. I had to drag and drop this giant image from the website, hoping to save you guys a click... this may have just made it worse.)
K50.jpg

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #23 of 25
OK these are not true active monitors, where you have a single amp for each driver.  This system has an amp in one of the cabinets that powers all of the drivers.  This has a few design flaws that make them far from ideal for critical listening, firstly one cabinet has less air insider it compared to the other due to the amplification and electronics, and the second is that the passive speaker has a much longer cable between it and the amp and the driver compared to the primary speaker, this can be negated through engineering but highly unlikely and far from optimal.  This design is generally used for low cost production and bigger margins and often the way computer multimedia speakers are designed.  They can be pretty good but I would rather buy the real thing.

I would honestly try to source a set of pro audio monitors in your region.  Try looking to source KRK RP5 or RP6 monitors, Tannoy reveal 502, Presonus Eris 5 or even ADAM F5.  Once you find a pro audio shop in your area you can do your own research, as prices WILL vary a lot in different locations.  Once you start looking you will find plenty of reviews online if you need them.

Another thing worth mentioning to persuade you to not buy these is the frequency response range of 52Hz-20Khz, you will notice a lack of bass, and what bass you do here will most likely all sound like one note.  I personally look for speakers that can offer extension to at least 42Hz or lower.

I am far from being a speaker expert but I have used a fair number of different sets of monitors in my time, I would remove these from your radar and go back to the research stage.

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #24 of 25

and that is why i'm consider the kef egg or kef x300a....spend a bit more and get a bit more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back