Audioengine a2 or a5 for a college dormroom?
Jun 4, 2011 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mattmcc

New Head-Fier

Hello everyone,

I am headed of to college in the fall and I was wondering for speakers for my dorm room (computer, TV, ipod, etc.) should i get the a5 or the a2. I will be using these speakers for many years so i want to make sure that i get the ones that i will be happy with for the longest. So in a dorm room would it be worth it to have the a5 or would that be too much? Any suggestions for other good media speakers and stuff would be greatly appriciated.

Jun 4, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 6
I remember being in this boat. Check out BX5a from M-Audio, and KRK Rokits as well as AudioEngine. You could also look at Swans Speakers. I've heard them all now, and have the KRK Rokits in my dorm room. Personally I'd recommend in this order A5 > Rokits > A2. The Rokits and A5 are pretty similar in SQ, but I found the A5 to be a little warmer, and not as bass punchy as the Rokits.

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #4 of 6
If you're deciding between the A2 and A5's, I say go straight for the A5's. 

They have much more power, but even though that A2's sound as big as the A5's, they're not as loud when you want to turn it up to annoy people in other rooms. :wink:

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #5 of 6
I am definitely interested to see how this search goes, as I'm looking for new desktop speakers for my home office. I am having trouble finding reviews on Swan products, and there is no local dealer for me to go audition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back