AudioEngine A2+ headphones output ?
Jan 2, 2015 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

titousky

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm planing to buy the AudioEngine A2+, but need to know if I can connect a 3.5 jack headphones to it by connecting an adapter to the RCA output, and if it would benefit from the integrated DAC ? and would to sound stop playing from the speaker when a connect the headphones?

When using the A2+ with a laptop, should I adjust the volume on windows or on the speakers?

I guess I can't use the integrated DAC to record audio with a mic?

Thanks for your time,

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #2 of 5
The Audioengine website says that the A2+ has a set of RCA output jacks. So, I suppose you could hook headphones to them - but if you do that, then won't the headphones and the speakers both play at the same time? Why would you want that?

And no, in order to record from a mic to your computer, you need a analog-to-digital (ADC) not a DAC. You would need something like a Focusrite Scarlett or a Presonus USB. This device would also allow you to connect both your headphones and your speakers, and would be a much better solution than trying to hook the headphones directly to the speakers. Please not that in this configuration, you would NOT be using the DAC in the A2+, you would connect the A2+ to the Focusrite/Presonus/etc via the analog line-level jacks.

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks, your answer helped me a lot,
I think I'll wait, and maybe latter take a ADC/DAC USB with maybe the Audioengine A5+, since I don't see the point of buying the A2+ if I have an external DAC.
That way I could record, and use Headphones with maximum sound quality.
Bye

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 5
Along the same lines - I also want to hook up heaphones to the A2+s as I have them linked to a turntable without a receiver or amp with a heaphone jack - i.e. I like to listen to music on heaphones so as not to irritate my neighbours too much!  As you correctly replied, if you do this with the A2+s, the sound still comes through the speakers.  Is there any way round this (apart from buying an amp or receiver)?  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back