Audioengine A2 +Behringer UCA202 as DAC?
Apr 22, 2008 at 7:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

USAstrat

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not quite sure how to set up my new computer stuff. Just got a laptop for college.

Does the behringer uca202 function as a DAC that will give me a line level signal to feed to the audioengines?

If not, what do I need? I'm looking for the cheapest option available.

Thanks

Apr 22, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by USAstrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the behringer uca202 function as a DAC that will give me a line level signal to feed to the audioengines?

Yes

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks! I can't wait to get these things and try em out. Coming off a much larger set up, I'm not expecting too much but iv'e heard great things about them so maybe they'll surprise me!

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UCA202 is a USB to Optical convertor. I do not think you could say it is a DAC.

Go check the specs. It is in fact a USB sound card that also has analog I/O and optical output.

Apr 23, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberTheo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go check the specs. It is in fact a USB sound card that also has analog I/O and optical output.

Thanks. I already own one of these units so I know what it does.

Apr 23, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 14
So i'm confused. Can, or can I not use it to hook my laptop up to my speakers?

I'm not too knowledgeable on optical/analog everything..lol

Apr 23, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #8 of 14
I think he is rather snootily saying it isn't a very good DAC. But for 30 bux, what do you expect?

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #9 of 14
Alright thanks. I think i'm going to go with it anyways then, i'm on a tight budget.

Unless, anybody has a better recommendation for cheap? Not worth it to me to spend alot of a DAC when it's only going to 200$ speakers/amp

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #10 of 14
It has both optical out and analog out, I believe. I suspect it isn't very good through analog out, but I have read mixed reports on the web. Some people say it's terrible for analog out and only useful for digital, but I saw someone say it sounded fine. So, it should work, but whether it will be better than a cheap sound card remains to be seen. Digital out is supposed to be bit perfect if you have a dac to plug it into.

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #11 of 14
The best cheap DAC you will find is, predictably, DIY--the Alien DAC. The kit from Glass Jar Audio is around 42 bux.

Apr 23, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he is rather snootily saying it isn't a very good DAC. But for 30 bux, what do you expect?

Nope, I'm not convinced that he knows what he was talking about! I mean, lets don't confuse newbies by not telling facts.

Apr 23, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicalguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has both optical out and analog out, I believe. I suspect it isn't very good through analog out, but I have read mixed reports on the web. Some people say it's terrible for analog out and only useful for digital, but I saw someone say it sounded fine. So, it should work, but whether it will be better than a cheap sound card remains to be seen. Digital out is supposed to be bit perfect if you have a dac to plug it into.

That is a fair assessment of the 202. The optical out is very good. I run it into a standalone DAC then onto a tube amp. The analog outs don't have much power so I have been unable to make a quality call on them as the line level is too low into my hp amp. I have not tried a ss headphone amp or integrated amp. The headphone output also is a bit weak, and really only should be used to monitor the inputs/outputs. Low impedance phones work best with the headphone jack.

At $30, it is still a great deal for the optical out, though.

Apr 24, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by USAstrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! I can't wait to get these things and try em out. Coming off a much larger set up, I'm not expecting too much but iv'e heard great things about them so maybe they'll surprise me!

If you have not ordered the A2's as of yet...Make sure to enter "PBC10" when you check out for a 10% discount.

I got 34.90 dollars off on the A5's

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back