Audioengine 5+ Corner placement
May 3, 2013 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SFixic

New Head-Fier
Hi.

I recently bought a pair of Audioengine 5+ and I'm having a hard time getting good positioning because one end of my desk is in a coner, does anyone have a good solution?

The sound gets much louder and boomyer because of the sound reflections of the left speaker in the corner.

Uploaded an image so it's easier to understand the layout :)

http://imgur.com/mJHlp7r

Thanks in advance :)

May 3, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #2 of 4
Did you try pulling it forward a few inches?

Also, and I don't know if this will help at all, but try stacking some books underneath both of them and see what happens when you get them up off the desk top a few inches. Optimum is to have the tweeter aimed at ear level anyway, and I'm guessing they are probably down a little lower than that.

May 3, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 4
Hi.

I tried booth things, it got a bit better.
But for now I've decided to return these speakers and buy something else.
Though I probably will have to deal with this once again.
So I'm still open for good solutions and thank you for the idéas cel4145.

May 3, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 4
Another thing that could help is some kind of cloth wall hanging on your left wall. It won't help the boomy bass, but it can reduce treble reflections.

Boundary gains can increase bass response. But it could also be the speakers. I don't know about the A5+, but the A5 version had a reputation for a bass hump below 200hz. Then you might also have better luck with speakers with better transient response. I run the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SEs, which have very tight mid bass. The 170s measure very well. But you need an amp for them.

For powered speakers, I would recommend looking into the Emotiva Airmotiv 5s. I've heard the smaller Airmotiv 4s, and they were very nice. If you have a local Guitar Center, KRK and Adam monitors get a lot of good testimonials here. These are all studio monitors and will generally have a more neutral response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back