Audioengine 2/5 with nicer/cheaper DAC
Feb 25, 2011 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

deadlinguo

New Head-Fier
Hi, this is my first post here. Been doing research and I think I have settled on either the Audioengine 2 or 5 to go with my laptop.

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best bang for the buck. Either

Audioengine 5 with either no DAC or a very cheap DAC (like the fiio e5)
or
Audioengine 2 with a DAC around the $100-150 range (any recommendations? would prefer USB with no extra software needed)

Would it even make sense to pair the Audioengine 5 with a cheapo DAC?

I like bass but am living in an apartment building so I'm not looking for a sub. I had the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 (and liked them a lot) for several years before they broke.

Thanks for any advice

Feb 26, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 7
depends what your using them for

if ur room large get a5 but a2's are very good my gf has a pair they are extremely loud and mobile

i would rather get a good usb/dac so u dont get bottle necked

with the same price of a5 you could get a usb dac/amp + a2's

you also can literally take ur audio rig to any room look for something like nuforce udac or get the fun which allows you to later upgrade to good headphones 

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 7
I run my A2s through a y1 and it makes a very noticeable difference. I don't own the A5 but I have heard them and imo the dac makes a bigger difference unless you need the extra volume (which for near field you shouldn't). However, as happy as I am with my A2s I still wish I had the A5s, so ideally get them and add a DAC later if budget is only a temporary constraint.

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #6 of 7
If it's purely for music the A2 will do quite well, but I've found speakers of that size to be fairly constipated with games and movies which have strong dynamics. I'd go with the A5 and later upgrade your DAC section. I went with small speakers and now I'm craving for more

Mar 2, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #7 of 7
+1 for speakers first.

Get either A2 or A5 depending on how loud you want, how much room you are willing to give up, etc. Then decide if you want to upgrade anything at a later date. They will sound great by themselves, but even an el-cheapo DAC would improve things vs. your laptop headphone out.

+1 for the other good idea of with a nuforce at a later date that you could use as a DAC and a headphone amp, at a later date if you so wish. And you will wish....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back