Audiobyte Hydra X + with Nad M51 Dac
Nov 24, 2014 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Danutz

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I am running the mentionned usb/spdif converter via bnc or spdif-out in to spdif -in on the M51.

However my choice for the Hydra X + was influenced by its HDMI/I2S-output, as the M51 could have be connected with my Viablue-Hdmi-cable...

Unfortunatly, there seems to be an incompatibility, as the Dac says "unlocked" and therefore no sound on hdmi1 or hdmi2.

Asking at Audiobyte, I received the following "explanation" after I saw their new Hydra Z (Adjustable I2S output clock polarity, to match all HDMI/I2S/LVDS dacs available):

"the issue with M51 is not clock polarity, but it's the different data formats used. I'm afraid you will not be able make the combo working over HDMI cable."

Question to head-fi: What are these data formats? Can the Hydra or the M51 be modified in order to avoid this mismatch, perhaps via software upgrade?

I would like to understand, why there should be no solution...

Thanks, and best regards,
beerchug.gif

Danutz

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 16
Isn't the M51 compatible with real A/V HDMI signal (like a receiver)?
The Hydra is a I2S over HDMI signal, like PS-Audio or (recently) Audio-gd. You don't need it for the M51, it can decode signal from your bluray / DVR / Computer HDMI directly (there's HDMi out for the video output to your TV).

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 16
The Hydra Z looks like a winner.  Hope it sounds like one..  Glad they put all the cables in the back this time..  How much is it and what USB drive are they using?

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 16
FLEXIBILITY The Hydra Z can be powered in 3 (three) ways :
Directly from USB
From an external 5v power supply
From dedicated Hydra ZPM (Z-Power Module)

http://audiobyte.net/products/hydra-z

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 16
Yep, they removed the battery.

Actually, you could never use the Hydra-X+ off-grid: the battery was the source supply inside the Hydra (when the "charging" LED is off), but it still required it to be plugged in at all time! Nicolae told me this was to protect the battery from accidental over-discharge.

Now you either use your computer USB power, or provide your clean +5V supply externally (which can be a battery). I use an Anker battery with the Hydra-X+. Waiting for it to be swapped for Hydra-Z.

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #13 of 16
  Is there an audible difference using the anker to charge the hydra?

Can't say for sure. The Hydra still runs off its own battery when fully charged so there will be no real difference compared to the supplied PSU.

The difference could be in the other components:
- The supplied SMPS will throw switching noise to other components through the main AC.
- The battery will have the Hydra run at a potential that could be different from the rest of the chain, potentially creating ground issues.

The variation in sound between Anker and original PSU is smaller than the variation I hear from one day to the other (fatigue, AC line quality, etc.). 

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #14 of 16
ok thanks!

Sorry for multiple replies, but they don`t show up in the thread, as does your reply...

I can only see/read it when I pree REPLY and look at the 10 last posts... what is wrong? Restarted my browser several times, but issue remains :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back