Audiobyte Hydra Stack: Hydra.Vox + Hydra.Hub + Hydra Zap
May 14, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #497 of 916
8-pin DIN connector?

May 14, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #499 of 916
Don't know about it. Thanks! Will email them ASAP.

May 14, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #501 of 916
@Lono technically it could be either one I guess. Earlier units of the Vox seem the most likely if Nicolae is sending out a replacement Vox unit. Looks like in some cases both the Vox and the Hub are configured for the same protocol (Rockna I believe) but they still can't understand each other. The configuration basically determines which part of the i2s protocol (data etc) is expected on specific pins of the i2s cable (HDMI in this case). I think @m-i-c-k-e-y had his Singxer SU-6 connected to the Vox with i2s, so the i2s itself works. It's just that the Singxer SU-6 is fully configurable with physical switches so you can change the meaning of the pins until it works.

Hello otijhuis,

Thank you for the clarification.

Kind regards,

Lono

May 17, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #502 of 916
My dealer tested my Vox and Hub for the i2s compatibility issues (using the Rockna i2s cable). My Hub works with the dealer's Vox (it does not work with my Vox, which was purchased 2 years ago).

So, in my case, there is a problem with the Vox.

I am in a tough situation, as I had purchased the Vox used (not from the dealer). I checked the with the seller of my Vox - he said he had never used the i2s input, and the Vox had never been repaired/altered.

My dealer is trying to find a solution with Nicolae, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. But this whole experience is now getting very frustrating.

May 19, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #503 of 916
So I have now the HUB replacement and the I2S works. Updated the firmware and it seems it somewhat resolved the 0.5 second issue playing via JRiver or HQplayer thru ASIO. W/in normal windows environment, that issue still prevails.

Please take this as a grain of salt. Just writing what I am listening so far....will revise later when i have more time with the unit.

Experiences:
- LAN via HQ Player works. Tested DXD (352Khz) and DSD128 so far.
- Upsampling to PCM768 and DSD512 works, BUT, using USB as input, need to increase volume and quality seems (IMO) not par w/ Bitperfect/Native resolution. Sound/Dynamics becomes "closed". Via SPDIF seems don't have this drawback.
- Have a problem using LAN via UPnP. Max quality is only at 48K. Previous unit I could go 192Khz/DSD64 (via SPDIF). But I like the sound I am hearing. So bummer.
- Problem accessing USB via Linux/Android. Sees the HUB but error communicating.

On Input: USB, LAN and SPDIF (havn't tried AES or Toslink yet)
Best so far is thru SPDIF (see below), then LAN (need to further confirm this) then USB.

On output: I2S and SPDIF:
On brief listening so far I2S coming from HUB has bit more definition. SPDIF a bit "analog".
To each his own flavor. Need to confirm more.

More!:
So it leaves me an unused Singxer SU-6. It has USB galvanic isolation/reclock etc. SO? Hook it up! So its..
PC (USB) -> Singxer SU-6 (SPDIF, upto PCM384/DSD128) -> HUB (SPDIF or I2S) -> VOX

I LIKE IT BETTER! Than USB or LAN on HUB.
So this is what I am listening now.

Next:
Will try Android on Singxer since direct to the HUB will not function.

So?
HUB has many functions, many things to improve.
If they could make the UPnP work. That will be very good for me. Won't need a streamer anymore, direct to HUB.

As said too early...Just my 2cents for now....

Last edited:
May 19, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #505 of 916
My HUB(singular) has I2S issues. @AmanK 's case is different. It's with its VOX.

May 19, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #506 of 916
More!:
So it leaves me an unused Singxer SU-6. It has USB galvanic isolation/reclock etc. SO? Hook it up! So its..
PC (USB) -> Singxer SU-6 (SPDIF, upto PCM384/DSD128) -> HUB (SPDIF or I2S) -> VOX
Already have HUB but still need SU-6...
Does this mean that the HUB is not a good DDC?

From the good impression of Hydra-Z in the past.
I thought that the DDC of the HUB should also be good,.
But it doesn't seem good...

May 20, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #507 of 916
Yes , the HUB is GOOD (in my opinion, especially if bugs are corrected) already. If you see my previous post, as DDC, its BETTER than SU-6 and then more (streamer, upsampler).

But then I have now one SU-6 just lying around. What shall I do w/ it?

Its one man's sharing opinion/experience. Pls. don't take it as the general idea.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #508 of 916
More!:

I LIKE IT BETTER! Than USB or LAN on HUB.
So this is what I am listening now.
Interesting. Anything in particular you like better? I have the same issue here, an unused SU-6 :). Haven't tried the SPDIF input on the Hub yet but guess I'll have to try it. Unfortunately the stack is still out for repair. Been 2 weeks and haven't heard anything yet.

May 27, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #509 of 916
@m-i-c-k-e-y I got my stack back a few days ago. They basically said it was working normally and that the sound reduction your distributor managed to do was 'impossible'. So I'm quite annoyed. They said they measured a loudness level of 40dB, which should be quiet and about the loudness of a refrigerator humming. Well, I can tell you my refrigerator makes a lot less noise, so I have no idea how they measured that.

I also tried the SPDIF input of the Hub by adding the Singxer SU-6. I'm not sure what I enjoy more yet but I think I slightly prefer the USB input. What was interesting though is that the Vox didn't click anymore when the format didn't change. With the USB input it clicks no matter what happens. Nicolae says it's a problem with the Vox and that it's getting fixed with a firmware update. I don't know why it would be a Vox issue considering I never had that issue with the Singxer SU-6. At least they are aware of the issue. With the SPDIF input the Roon 0.2sec delay issue was gone as well, at least when the format didn't change.

I also mentioned the fact that display of the Hub keeps getting stuck on the animating Audiobyte logo. This happens basically half the time for me. The only 'fix' is turn the Zap off and on and hope it continues the next time. Haven't heard anything about that issue yet.

Hopefully they start rolling out those firmware updates soon but with their current track record, who knows. Having so many 'obvious' issues that would surface during tests is just bad, especially after waiting such a long time for the Hub to be released. It sure feels like 'production ready' meant 'we need some cashflow right now'.

May 27, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #510 of 916
Anyway I gave a go again for USB the other night w/ a better cable. And still SPDIF for me by a bit. My AES/EBU will arrive Monday. Will see.

Pitty it has bugs but it has so many potential too.

How far can you get w/ roon? PCM/DSD?

Edit: deleted some..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back