Audiobyte Hydra Stack: Hydra.Vox + Hydra.Hub + Hydra Zap
Apr 25, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #451 of 916
@m-i-c-k-e-y I decided to check the sound level of the relay clicks/pops with a decibel meter app on my phone. It consistently registers between 86dB and 89dB with the microphone close to the frontside of the Vox. This is considered loud and at lower/regular listening levels it's actually louder than the actual music at my seating position. I don't want to bother you but is there any way you could check what sound level it is now after you had it fixed? I figured I'd ask since it would be nice to have some kind of reference and to know what to expect.

Sure bro, checked mine just now w/ my phone (fronstside of Vox)...Its between 66 - 69dB when playing music on different format PCM<->DSD. Being loudest during startup around 72dB.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #452 of 916
Unfortunately they lack in customer support, communication, response and implementation time.

From my experience, there was always a quick email reply from Nicolae with a genuine attempt to support or help, really. I am currently in the Middle East in Abu Dhabi (no dealer or support community) and they always responded. The implementation time, of course, is very long and unacceptable to most people. I waited few months for my Rockna dac to be made and tested, but I was aware of the process and the end result was worth the wait, in my view. I am in no way related to them or know them personally, just a simple customer who has tried a lot of audio equipment in his age (60). I sincerely wish them to survive, increase the scale and marketing and make some real money to compensate for all the talent and technical effort. Regards from Abu Dhabi, Z Popovic.

Apr 25, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #453 of 916
@otijhuis and @Miracle1980

Just an after thought on the 0.2-0.5sec audio issue. JRiver on Tools->Options->Settings have an options that says "Play silence at startup for hardware synchronization". This option allows outputting leading silence so no actual sound is lost in these cases. Its in increments of 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2 seconds and so forth. If you have JRiver you could try this option if it resolves the issue. Or some related function on your player..

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #454 of 916
From my experience, there was always a quick email reply from Nicolae with a genuine attempt to support or help, really. I am currently in the Middle East in Abu Dhabi (no dealer or support community) and they always responded. The implementation time, of course, is very long and unacceptable to most people. I waited few months for my Rockna dac to be made and tested, but I was aware of the process and the end result was worth the wait, in my view. I am in no way related to them or know them personally, just a simple customer who has tried a lot of audio equipment in his age (60). I sincerely wish them to survive, increase the scale and marketing and make some real money to compensate for all the talent and technical effort. Regards from Abu Dhabi, Z Popovic.
Yes, don't get me wrong. Nicolae is a nice person and he is always willing to help, I also had nice experience with him. What I meant with lack of customer support/communication is the fact that, for example, the HUB has been released after almost 2 years of waiting. Still it's not available an application, an official manual, a list of known bugs...also not enough specs/description of the various features, components and connector plugs. Things that, for such pricey devices, should be taken also in consideration.

Apr 25, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #455 of 916
Sure bro, checked mine just now w/ my phone (fronstside of Vox)...Its between 66 - 69dB when playing music on different format PCM<->DSD. Being loudest during startup around 72dB.
Thanks so much for checking. Considering every 10dB is perceived as twice as loud that means mine sounds 4 times as loud as yours. That's quite the difference. At least I have some real numbers to mention now instead of "it's way too loud for my taste".

Regarding the 0.2-0.5sec delay, I did try the Resync delay setting in Roon during the weekend, which is supposed to do something similar to JRiver based on the description, but that didn't work either. No idea how that issue made it past all the testing considering it seems basically impossible not to have the issue when using Roon at least. Guess we'll have to wait for a firmware update. There was a dsp update for the Hub this weekend but no idea what that was supposed to do. I think it checks for 4 or 5 possible types of updates.

Apr 26, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #457 of 916
Now this becomes shaddy....why the name? why the password?

just nothing to do I suppose... :grin: :v:

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #460 of 916
And thinking Vox was upto 32/384 only. So Fpga programming works!

Apr 29, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #465 of 916
So,new firmware isn't fix this problem?
No, like @Miracle1980 said, it's for the Vox only. The only thing mentioned in the release notes is the PCM 768k issue. The 0.2sec delay still exists.

Whenever they release the iOS update, I hope that fixes the reconnection issue as well. I'm only about 2m from the Vox and the app loses connection all the time and starts searching for the device again. It's basically unusable for me right now. I'm lucky if I get the chance to turn the device on/off or change any settings without it losing connection. The Android version isn't without issues but the iOS one is much worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back