Audiobyte Hydra Stack: Hydra.Vox + Hydra.Hub + Hydra Zap
Mar 26, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #391 of 916
Problem on my case. I have no space on my desk for a May KTE. It was one of my shortlist. But the form factor won't cut it. So what DAC did you eneded up with. The May?

Mar 26, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #392 of 916
Since the Rockna Net arrived ideally Rockna‘s flagship dac I heard together at a friends is sooo fantastic pairing however way out of my budget for a dac , of course the WaveDream SE dac at 1/4 of the price was considered however I instead have bought a Swiss made dac by Merason that will arrive soon .
I did home audition the Merason Dac 1 i borrowed from for a short time during store closer for two days , I like it very much .

Its a shame the delays of AudioByte’s Hub has been extended including a smaller version of Rockna’s WaveDream Net server many also are waiting for though it took six weeks for my new Net server to arrive strange indeed .

Mar 26, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #393 of 916
Problem on my case. I have no space on my desk for a May KTE. It was one of my shortlist. But the form factor won't cut it. So what DAC did you eneded up with. The May?
I see , large components can be a problem especially for a desk top , the Net server is also large ,

The AudioByte stack when it is finally complete should be very appealing though I have moved on from waiting for the Hub I would very much like to hear this combination.

Attachments

• 49209A95-131A-4024-A8DA-9A217617D41A.jpeg
    49209A95-131A-4024-A8DA-9A217617D41A.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • FE770615-2802-48E8-92B3-EA46F85EF39B.jpeg
    FE770615-2802-48E8-92B3-EA46F85EF39B.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 90ABCD8B-E384-4AC8-BF25-5170B5987B27.jpeg
    90ABCD8B-E384-4AC8-BF25-5170B5987B27.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #394 of 916
My current setup is this...Singxer SU-6 thru I2S temporarily takes care the HUB's duties. Like the black and silver combo.

HP Station.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #395 of 916
The silver of the Pathos and Vox look identical, I am almost there with all black components though I’ll have to order the new MK2 Cayin Ha-300 headphone amplifier if I want all black , it will be a nice change for once to have colour matching components.
The Rockna / AudioByte importer sold me a i2s cable he had commissioned to manufacture by whom he didn’t say however he says it is the best i2s cable so far he’s experienced though plans of retail marketing of this cable he doesn’t have the time and patience for right now. All I know it’s silver construction he said is a true i2s Rockna layout.

Mar 31, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #397 of 916
Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #399 of 916
Has anyone got the first HUB units?
How much is the price in USD?
I can't see Audiobyte in the roon partner's on official website. Will be compatible but not certified?

Apr 13, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #401 of 916
mickey how are you liking your audiobyte vox setup? I remember you complained about pops during sample rate changes between songs.. did firmware updates improve that? also do the different firmwares really change the sound signature? I just got a audial aya 5 tda1541a nos dac and it's the best dac by far I've ever had.. now I'm curious about high end dacs again, especially the vox and wavelight

Apr 14, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #402 of 916
Hello Bud!

Yeah, firmware plus internal DC volt adjustments on 3 micro dials/knobs did the trick. Sent to my distributor to fix. Yes firmware do fine tunes the SQ. On my case I had two. First to fix the pops/clicks . The second (latest, from their site), reduced further clicks on format transitions, finer adjustments on SQ and some interface/conversion changes.

Likes: form factor, idea as a AIO (especially with HUB), SQ, able to gradually expand (DAC/Amp + PS now, HUB later)
Dislike: HUB delay, average HP amp IMO(weak link).

My Singxer SU-6 takes care temporarily HUB's duties. Its a nice DDC for its price especially on the improved SQ it brings. However I have occasional problem with locks when playing DSD when changing formats (PCM-DSD). Playing straight from source via USB/SPDIF don't give me this problem.

So IF I will start all over will I buy it again?
If HUB is available it will be a yes I think. Wavelight? No, a bit expensive: Audiobyte 4K(Vox and Zap) + 2K(Hub) vs Rockna 5K(Wavelight) + ?(Amp) + 5K(Server). And don't know if Wavelight Server has an upsample/format conversion function. Maybe if you have an amp already.

Other Alternatives?
Flux-Labs Atlas - has everything but its too big for me. Plus problem in Ukraine.
T+A HA 200 - Is a beauty plus the German T+A quality. Was frustrated when I learnt there are no preamp/digital outs (for a powered speaker upgrade).
Holo Audio May - SQ! Too big for me. No HUB/Streamer and needs and additional Amp outright.
Denafrips Terminator - HUGE and HEAVY! Same advantages and disadvantages as May.
Chord TT2 - Yeah maybe, but no HUB/Streamer. Don'k know for an additional Amp.

Next alternative? Maybe a Chord TT2+Scaler. If I have an amp, the Wavelight+Server route.

My component choices are not only for SQ but for features. Don't know what are your priorities. Hope will give you some feedbacks.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #403 of 916
So yesterday I have finally received the HUB and I did quite extensive listening sessions.

Sound wise it is a clear improvement over my Auralic Aries with Femtoclock (USB).

The HUB is connected to Rockna Wavedream via I2S.
Impressive rich sound, full but refined. Details and timing never felt so correct and cohesive.
Sound wise I'm really happy. The HUB is powered by a Silent Angel Forester F1 Linear PSU.

Unfortunately the software doesn't seem to be optimized yet. I have 2 issues at the moment:

1) I cannot use the Audiobyte app to operate the HUB. It simply doesn't find it...so I was forced to do all the setting via the touch screen. Also not possible to power off at the moment...not sure if it will be possible via the app. Do you guys can power off your VOX via app?

2) Whenever I select and hit play for a track (ROON) it starts always with about 1sec delay.
So 1st second is cut off. No problems for continuous tracks. The issue happens only if I play a new track or restart the current one.

Let's hope they will fix it soon...

PXL_20220414_073303123.jpg
PXL_20220414_073250692.jpg

Apr 14, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #405 of 916
Thanks for the sharing!
How did you connect the Silent Angel F1 to HUB?

I know the Silent Angel F1 is a DC 2.1mm connector.
But I don't know if the HUB has a cable that supports DC 2.1mm inside the HUB box.
I have asked Rockna/Audiobyte to prepare a cable for this purpose. I will ask to get the pins order and name of the connector they are using. So in future I'm able to replace it...in case I for es. lose it or want to experiment with ''audiophile'' one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back