Audio_GD NFB-2 Has No Soundstage
Jul 16, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #16 of 20
Just an update, now I get the sound I want.  I don't know which is the root cause, but I did 3 things.  I change the power cord, change the tube from 300b to 2A3 on my amp, and one of the speaker cable seems a bit loose and I fix that.  Now, I get back the sound stage like the Maverick but with better detail and more separation between different instruments.  Now I am happy. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #17 of 20
Did the 300b's have a lot of hours on them ?

Peete.

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #18 of 20

Quote:
Just an update, now I get the sound I want.  I don't know which is the root cause, but I did 3 things.  I change the power cord, change the tube from 300b to 2A3 on my amp, and one of the speaker cable seems a bit loose and I fix that.  Now, I get back the sound stage like the Maverick but with better detail and more separation between different instruments.  Now I am happy. 
bigsmile_face.gif

That's good news, what power cord did you upgrade to?

I'm planning to bi-wire with fat cable very soon and I suspect that might solve my problem as well. I've been noticing at close range my tweeter is significantly quieter than the midrange. It seems to vary with burn-in, but I think overall, when I had the TubeDAC it sent so much power to the amp that the tweeters got plenty to drive them (while the midrange distorted like hell), but now, with the Kingwa being so neutral and polite, the faults in my speakers are showing up a lot more.

If that doesn't work I'm going to try a simple eq that matches the crossover point and pulls back the midrange a little.

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #19 of 20

Quote:
Did the 300b's have a lot of hours on them ?

Peete.

Yes, they do.  The 2A3 is however new.

Quote:

That's good news, what power cord did you upgrade to?

I'm planning to bi-wire with fat cable very soon and I suspect that might solve my problem as well. I've been noticing at close range my tweeter is significantly quieter than the midrange. It seems to vary with burn-in, but I think overall, when I had the TubeDAC it sent so much power to the amp that the tweeters got plenty to drive them (while the midrange distorted like hell), but now, with the Kingwa being so neutral and polite, the faults in my speakers are showing up a lot more.

If that doesn't work I'm going to try a simple eq that matches the crossover point and pulls back the midrange a little.

Actually, nothing very expensive.  I bought the ElementCord from Element Cable and plug it to my amp.  And move the Iron Lung Jellyfish power cord from the amp to the Audiogd.  

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #20 of 20

Quote:
Yes, they do.  The 2A3 is however new.

I hate to say this but it's highly likely your 300b's have met the end of their MTBF life span. What brand of 300b are you using BTW (NOS or new production etc) ?

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back