audio workshop AW-D3 usb dac kit
Jun 16, 2005 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rocktboy

100+ Head-Fier
http://www.audioworkshop.com.hk/index_en.htm
click on audio diy, then aw-d3 report.

Anybody tried this kit? $60 seems very reasonable (no enclosure), plus you get a built-in headphone amp to boot! Seems like a cheaper alternative to the headroom bithead.
I am seriously thinking about ordering this...

Jun 17, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 10
I would also be interested in hearing what peopl ehave to say about this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Clutz

Jun 17, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 10
The groundplane is very hacked up hard to tell from just looking at it if its well thought out or just an automated fill. I would also have preferd galvanic isolation from the computer (i use 2902 transformercoupled to my dac)

Still at 60usd its seems a great value, that store is a pleasure to deal with and shipping from HK is dirt cheap compared to local shipping fees here.

On a personal note I much prefer the 1545 compared against the 1543 it resembles the 1541s2 to a much much higher extent.

Ive been tempted for a while to do something similar a pcm2*** to extact i2s from the usb a couple of iso150 for isolation and a tda1545 with thorsten loesch sugested ecc88 outputstage the problem is i have no real need for it. :/

just my 2 c

Aug 4, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 10
i like the look of a lot of their kits for the money, tempting to get some of them to try out.

Aug 4, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
1110351000.JPG

What's going on with the USB connection? Did they just place it there for the picture, or is the end of a UBB cord really just soldered to the board?

It has a male plug that is attached to the PCB....still seems silly though:

CIMG1569.jpg

I just realised this kit it kind of flexible. You can snap off the PSU bit and the TDA1543 bit. You can then use the PCM2706 on its own as the DAC to directly drive headphones and power it from the USB.

Apr 4, 2006 at 11:32 AM Post #10 of 10
Well, has anybody tried it - almost a year and no reply?

I just received D3 kit from Audioworkshop - no problems dealing with them.

I noted a couple of posts on their forum(And DiyAudio forum) about D3 problems realting to I2S mode use - i.e. when jumpered to I2S mode it USB stops working.

Has anybody experinced this?

My plan to deal with this is to permanently set the options, rather than use the jumpers which add undue complication.

Accordording to the schematic http://www.audioworkshop.com.hk/download/AW_D3.pdf

If I remove R7 & solder J2 closed to permanently set FSEL low will give me I2S mode.

If I cut trace from PSEl to 3.3V source and connect instead to nearest ground will set PSEL low= self powered mode.

Anybody try these or have any opinion?

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back