Audio Valve RKVII/Impedanzer w/Sennheisers?
Apr 16, 2004 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

WIJGALT

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone using this combo? Having all 3 components at my disposal (the Senn being the 650) I was wondering if there was any point/advantage to using the Impedanzer with the 650s.
The Impedanzer worked wonders with the Sony CD3K. But the Senns, already with high impedance, sound quite fabulous to me without the Impedanzer which I've packed away. Any reason to pull it out & give it a whirl with the 650s? And which setting would be best with the Senns?
Thanks.

Apr 16, 2004 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 9
To my ears, the RKV II/HD-650 combo is excellent sounding, and I don't use that word lightly. Not only is there no need for the Impedanzer, but it would be disadvantegeous to use it with any setting. The impedance match between RKV II and HD-650 is ideal as it is; installing an output transformer between the two (and that's what the Impedanzer is) would annihilate the advantages of the RKV's OTL design.

Replace the HD-650's stock cable with a ZU Mobius (or a cable of similar quality), take care of all the cabling between source and your RKV's input (including mains cables), keep clean all the contacts (mains cable connectors, RCA plugs and jacks, tube pins and sockets, 1/4" connector and jack, as well as the tiny connectors and jacks at the headphone end), and enjoy one of the best ways of forgetting you're listening to recorded music.

My RKV has a stepped attenuator instead of the stock volume pot, and that gives further huge improvements. Click on this link and then on "RKV" to have a look.

Quote:

Originally posted by WIJGALT
Anyone using this combo?

Apr 16, 2004 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 9
The Impedanzer is only for cans up to 64 ohms. It is unnecessary to use it with the Senns since they are 300 ohms. It removes one more thing from the signal path, so the minimalist in me says keep it out. It won't hurt anything to try the two togehter, so why not see what happens with your ears and equipment?

Apr 16, 2004 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 9
I can't speak to how the RKV sounds with or without the Impedencer specifically, but just wanted to note that some time ago, chief engineer at Sennheiser said that amps with output closest to 0 ohms are best even with high-impedence HD600.

Apr 16, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 9
I used to own the RKV/HD600 combo and found they sounded fabulous together. I also tried the RKV with the CD3000 but there's a moderate hum/hiss that can be annoying to some. The Impedanzer removed this hiss/hum with the CD3000 and made the combo quite enjoyable as well. If you use the Impedanzer with your HD650, you'll have to turn the volume knob a lot higher than without the Impedanzer to achieve the same volume level.

Apr 16, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #6 of 9
My inquiry was based on my reading somewhere (can't recall where) that the Impedanzer is advantageous for use with any headphones, among other things it supposedly further lowers the noise floor (though the 650s appear already to be quieter than the 600s used previously). I guess I'll dig the Impedanzer out & see what happens.
BTW, I have purchased the Mobius cable. Initial impressions (too early to pass judgement on the sound) are that it is nicely built & cosmetically appealing & a darn good thing it comes with a 60 day return policy. It will probably take about 55 days to remove the thing from the phones if necessary.

Apr 17, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #7 of 9
There was a post discussing whether to use 0 ohm output (low impedance) or 120 ohm output (high impedance) output which effects Corda's sound characteristics. General consensus was to use lower impedance output to get tighter sound even with HD600/HD650, one of the reason why Corda HA-1 MKII only have low impedance output. Although it may not directly applicable to RKV with Impedanzer, but it may achieve same result (volume level is reduced but sound, especially bass, is tighter).

Apr 17, 2004 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 9
I've got all three components. You already have been told the Impedanzer is not necessary with higher impedance headphones (and have gratuitously been given a fasir amount of other unsubtantiated hype
biggrin.gif
). The RKV II with Zu-ed HD650s is as good as your source; this is my favored daily listening combination. Both revealing and involving, it has laid to rest most of the shortcomings I had previously found with headphone based systems.

The Impedanzer leaves me in a quandry. I got it to be able to listen to my CD3Ks and AT W1Ks and any other low impedance cans that might turn up with the RKV. Sadly, neither of the aforementioned headphones are the least bit impressive throught the Impedanzer. All three items are now in semi-permanent retirement on the top of a bookcase. BTW, you use the lowest Impedanzer setting that give you clear sound with a particular headphone.

Apr 17, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 9
Tell ya what WIJGALT ... I can give that impedencer of yours a nice, well respected home.....

I have the RKV/ Cardas/ 600's combo and I love it! But I happen to also have a big family that makes lots of noise, so I hardly ever get to use it. I also have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-W1000's that I love as a closed set... but they are very low impedence, and that creates a lot of static in the line. I have been searching desperatly for a used impedencer so I can get back to my listening.

If you feel that you are going to eventually part with your impedencer, please keep a needy fellow head-fier in mind!
600smile.gif

Mahkook

Users who are viewing this thread

Back