Audio Valve RKV II price and comparable amps ?
Oct 24, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

What's a fair price of a good condition RKV Mark II ?

I believe they were selling for $800-900 a few years ago -- I'm not quite sure now. That is one sweet, smooth sounding amplifier though. It's worth the cost.

Quote:

Also, is there any amp can match the RKV at it's current used price ?

As for that, I have no idea -- I'm not up-to-date on the latest amp offerings. Things have become much more complicated in the world of headphone amplifiers since I started in 2001.

Oct 24, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerikl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe they were selling for $800-900 a few years ago -- I'm not quite sure now. That is one sweet, smooth sounding amplifier though. It's worth the cost.

As for that, I have no idea -- I'm not up-to-date on the latest amp offerings. Things have become much more complicated in the world of headphone amplifiers since I started in 2001.

I'm surprised that the RKV is not that popular. I've read that the opamp upgrade can bring the RKV to the SQ level of the SinglePower SDS. That's awesome for an amp which cost less than $1K.

Oct 24, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised that the RKV is not that popular. I've read that the opamp upgrade can bring the RKV to the SQ level of the SinglePower SDS. That's awesome for an amp which cost less than $1K.

Said who .... that is definitely wishful thinking. I have heard the RKV several times and it is a very colored sounding amp that is good but hardly great. The RKV's claim to fame was the way the amps colorations mated with the K1000.

Oct 24, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 12
I also was also not very impressed when I got the chance to listen to one. I wouldn't spend that kind of money on that amp.

I don't really like tube/SS hybrids, but I think you can do better for the money.

Oct 24, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 12
I can offer an opposing view. I think the RKV mkII is a fantastic headphone amp and often underrated around these parts. I would agree that it's a somewhat colored amp, but you can adjust that a bit via tube rolling. I thought it sounded great with most headphones but synergized incredibly well with a few in particular. Namely, the K1000 and any of the Audio-Technica woodies. At least for me.

Oct 24, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 12
That's good! We all have different ears. And tube amps do definitely depend on the tubes in them. I don't know what tubes were in the one I heard.

Oct 24, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's good! We all have different ears. And tube amps do definitely depend on the tubes in them. I don't know what tubes were in the one I heard.

I've read that the designer has confirmed that tube rolling has minimum effect on this design. The opamps are used to control the tubes and influence sound signature/quality. I've also read that opamp rolling and mod do wonder to this amp.

I guess that they're so good that you don't see them FS that often.
confused.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read that the designer has confirmed that tube rolling has minimum effect on this design. The opamps are used to control the tubes and influence sound signature/quality. I've also read that opamp rolling and mod do wonder to this amp.

I guess that they're so good that you don't see them FS that often.
confused.gif

I was going to mention, due to the design, that tuberolling reportedly had little effect on the sound. But, you posted that already.

The RKV was an expensive, imported amp in its time and not that many were sold to begin with. So there aren't many out there to sell. The amp also required something Audio Valve dubbed an impedencer to drive low impedence headphones. Again, I found the amp quite colored and beyond synergy with a few specific headphones the amp was never something on my wish list. If I remember correctly, there were some QC issues with some of the amps. My friends RKV gave him a lot of trouble.

Oct 25, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RKV was an expensive, imported amp in its time and not that many were sold to begin with. So there aren't many out there to sell. The amp also required something Audio Valve dubbed an impedencer to drive low impedence headphones. Again, I found the amp quite colored and beyond synergy with a few specific headphones the amp was never something on my wish list. If I remember correctly, there were some QC issues with some of the amps. My friends RKV gave him a lot of trouble.

Would you think the impedencer is actually a nice way to deal with all type of dynamic cans ? It can handles cans with low imp. as 8, while the amp can feed the K1000 properly.

I did not see any thread indicating quality issues with this amp. Would you please give me some pointer? Or share your experience with issues on this amp ?

Oct 27, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #11 of 12
Based on it's reputation I bought an RKV to use with a pair of K1000s and a pair of Grados. I was disappointed with its performance with both phones.

For the K1000s I wound up replacing the RKV with a Sig 30.

I was going to sell the RKV, but decided to try the OPA627 opamp mod I'd read about first. The mod is easy to perform and its effect on the amp is dramatic.

I'm no longer disappointed with the RKV. It sounds wonderful with my Grados (using the impedenzer) and I've decided to keep it. I still don't care for it with the K1000s, however.

Oct 27, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #12 of 12
It's been my pleasure to own and regularly listen through an Audio Valve RKV Mk II for the last four or five years. You can look at my current kit in my profile. Since I've been the local sponsor for HeadRoom's national tour twice during that period, I've had the opportunity to listen critically to quite a few sources, amps, and headphones and may even be qualified to form an objective opinion.
biggrin.gif
I am very pleased with my RKV purchased new from Meier Audio. It is a very pleasant amp to listen to for long periods of time with many different headphones. I had an Impedanzer, but sold it after I unloaded my Sony 3Ks and AT-W1000s. The RKV drives my K701s flawlessly without impedance correction. I can't say enough nice things about my RKV, but suffice it to say I've kept it.

That said, build quality control (specifically faulty solder connections) has been an issue for Audio Valve and the RKV's design required a foam block inside the case to avoid board breakage during shipping. You would do well to research closely and ask questions about any pre-owned RKVs you are looking at and remind their seller to pack carefully with the original materials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back