Audio Trouble With Blu Rays on Sennheiser 598's
Feb 9, 2016 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

State Of Trance

New Head-Fier
Been watching Blu Rays on my laptop using an external Blu Ray drive and listening using my Sennheiser 598 plugged right into the laptop's 3.5 mm, no other audio equipment. Despite the horror stories I've heard about the PC Blu Ray scene, things have been largely fine, with one exception.

I'm getting popping / fizzle-ing / crackle-ing sounds. Not all of the time; quiet scenes with dialogue sound quite nice. In scenes that are louder, however, these issues occur. What's worse is that these issues also sometimes occur in quiet scenes; some frequency or some such just causes this to happen even when things aren't very noisy.

I've had no trouble with the cans themselves and I want to just assume that the Blu Ray discs themselves are fine, so let's assume that it involves the downsampleing from 5.1 TrueHD to stereo. I'm using Leawo Blu Ray player. I imagine that there're some settings in that app that I can tweak to make this work and I've already ensured that the thing knows to output 2.0. Still the issues are there. Saw something about decibels or some such. I'll look at those settings again.

Anyone familiar with Leawo? Any thoughts regarding anything else? Much appreciated.

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 3
There is a setting to boost audio when downsampling that was checked by default. I unchecked it and, from a brief watching of a few moments where I heard the fizzleing before, the problem is at least partially gone. I'm fairly sure that I still heard it at one time or another, but I also noticed that some moments where it used to happen are now fine.

So I guess I'm good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back