Audio Tecknica WS55i, Denon ADH 1100, AKG K450 or K480 or other alternatives?
Dec 6, 2011 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

ScottishRangers

New Head-Fier
Allright guys,

Stumbled across your forum a couple of days ago and thought i would ask use for some advice im looking for a pair of headphones for mainly traveling to work but would still get plenty of use at home. I've got the Sony zx300 (picture) which are fine but was looking for a more expensive quality pair. Tried the Denons which i liked thought they were great possibly a bit big as they are over ears for going to work but maybe not. 
Tried the WS55 not the WS55i which i would go for but i liked them a lot and i recently came across the AKG but don't know a lot about them there not at my local shop also tried the Bose on ears but don't think they handled the base very well up loud.

I mainly listen to hip hop but like a bit of indie as well and dance occasionally as well.

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to headphones so any help with be appreciated 

And apologies if i'm in the wrong section.

Cheers

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 36
My wife seems pretty happy with my K450s, however, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. While the sound has it's upsides, the downsides are IMO too big for me to happily recommend them.

I think they're harsch, muddy, boomy bass, too recessed mids, and so on. They're pretty small and lightweight, which is the reason my wife has taken them over. She says she loves them because of that, and wouldn't want to change headphones to anything else. I guess we all have our own reasons to like certain headphones.

Anyway, my recommendation is to SKIP the AKG K450.

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 36

Quote:
My wife seems pretty happy with my K450s, however, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. While the sound has it's upsides, the downsides are IMO too big for me to happily recommend them.

I think they're harsch, muddy, boomy bass, too recessed mids, and so on. They're pretty small and lightweight, which is the reason my wife has taken them over. She says she loves them because of that, and wouldn't want to change headphones to anything else. I guess we all have our own reasons to like certain headphones.

Anyway, my recommendation is to SKIP the AKG K450.

OK mate thanks for your input.

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 36
I am using the koss portapro. Bassy, and does not compromise on audio quality(imo) . Yep and its pretty portable, i keep it in a tupperware lunch box and bring it with me to school. You have to mind its appearance though. Looks a little funky haha.

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 36

Quote:
I am using the koss portapro. Bassy, and does not compromise on audio quality(imo) . Yep and its pretty portable, i keep it in a tupperware lunch box and bring it with me to school. You have to mind its appearance though. Looks a little funky haha.

Just checked them out they do look pretty funky lol and get great reviews but i was looking to spend a bit more money.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 36
you can also try the akg k518, looks trendy, and is bassy too.(i think it fits your genres) but it is rather uncomfortable imo

Seconded on the k518s. Good price and good sound imo. Strange how I usually like AKG, except with k450. I guess all companies are entitled to have at least one bad product.

Dec 6, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #9 of 36

Quote:
Is this a better option than the ones i mentioned?

(Meant to quote you there Limenyang as well)

Well, I have only heard the Porta Pro, K518 and K450 out of the ones mentioned here. Porta Pros are just fine, but they are open backed so they leak a lot of sound. To be honest, I rarely sit next to anyone with Porta Pros on the subway unless I have my own music, because I rarely enjoy their music taste. Anyway, back to on-topic, K518 are a lot better IMO than the K450. As for the other two in the OP, I can't really say, because I haven't heard them. However, I own the Cal! (also a good suggestion; Cal! - Creative Aurvana Live!) which are essentially the same headphones as the Denon D1001, which are the predecessor phones to the D1100. I'd say that the K518 are comparable to Cal! in a lot of ways, however, K518 are supraaural and Cal! are circumaural.

I hope this helped you a bit.

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #10 of 36

Quote:
Well, I have only heard the Porta Pro, K518 and K450 out of the ones mentioned here. Porta Pros are just fine, but they are open backed so they leak a lot of sound. To be honest, I rarely sit next to anyone with Porta Pros on the subway unless I have my own music, because I rarely enjoy their music taste. Anyway, back to on-topic, K518 are a lot better IMO than the K450. As for the other two in the OP, I can't really say, because I haven't heard them. However, I own the Cal! (also a good suggestion; Cal! - Creative Aurvana Live!) which are essentially the same headphones as the Denon D1001, which are the predecessor phones to the D1100. I'd say that the K518 are comparable to Cal! in a lot of ways, however, K518 are supraaural and Cal! are circumaural.

I hope this helped you a bit.

Thanks for you response sound leaking would be an issue but i will check out the k518 the cals looked quite big from the video i watched are they? as i would be using them in public and don't want to look to stupid.

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #11 of 36
Well, they aren't too big if you ask me. Alittle smaller than my M50. They're pretty lightweight as well. They have a glossy finish, so fingerprints are a problem on them.

How stupid could you extend your looks to? I mean, they ARE over-the-ear-design, but they're not crazy big like i.e. my Denon D2000.

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #12 of 36

Quote:
Well, they aren't too big if you ask me. Alittle smaller than my M50. They're pretty lightweight as well. They have a glossy finish, so fingerprints are a problem on them.

How stupid could you extend your looks to? I mean, they ARE over-the-ear-design, but they're not crazy big like i.e. my Denon D2000.

Lol. Do you walk about with yours on? I dont have a big head so if i see people laughing on the bus while i'm listening to my music i might know the reason why lol. Are they bigger than the sennheisers hd 202 do you know mate? Any downsides and do they have good base?

Cheers

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #13 of 36

Quote:

Lol. Do you walk about with yours on? I dont have a big head so if i see people laughing on the bus while i'm listening to my music i might know the reason why lol. Are they bigger than the sennheisers hd 202 do you know mate? Any downsides and do they have good base?

Cheers

LOL I'm the wrong person to ask as I'm happily strolling around in my M50's without hesitation. Anyway, I have the Sennheiser 201's (sorry, don't have the 202's) right next to me, and looking from the side they're just a tiny bit smaller but seeing from the front they are a little bit bigger. They're big enough to go around my ear, but small enough not to make me look like an idiot - I hope.

They have an okay bass response. I'm not overly in love with them, however, they are not bad in any way. The build quality can feel a little flimsy at first, but they're actually well built. Actually, if I didn't have a lot of money and no headphones, they'd probably be the ones for me. There are plentiful of reviews on this site for the Cal!'s and some even mod them to make them sound greater. By modding, I mean stuff like the Markl-mod and such. I have only stuffed a little stuff inside of the earpad just so my ears doesn't touch the cloth on the inside, as that feeling irritates me a bit - but the only headphones that doesn't make my ears touch the inside are the D2000's (and they are pretty huge).

Otherwise they have a good sound quality for a good price. I wouldn't pay what the Denon D1001's cost when they were available (the same headphone), but seeing as the Cal!'s are a lot cheaper, I'll gladly recommend it.

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #15 of 36
I find the K518 to have a good bass. To me, they're fairly good with every genre as well. £80 is a bit too much for the K518 to be honest. amazon.co.uk has them for £45.99, which is the most they should cost. Any more expensive than that, go for some other headphone.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-Acoustics-518-DJ-Headphones/dp/B000ISP3M4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1323293285&sr=8-5

Seems like the Denon D1100 has a price drop ATM as well:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Denon-AHD1100-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B003YUBE4E/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323293420&sr=1-4

For that price (half the price of Denon D1001 IIRC), I'd probably order the Denons despite not really knowing if I'd like the sound or not. People seem to like them, especially for bass heavy music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back