Audio-Technica's New Multidriver IEMs: The ATH-IM Series
Oct 10, 2013 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 427

kjk1281

1000+ Head-Fier
On October 10, Audio-Technica announced the upcoming release of of several multidriver in ear monitor headphones. The ATH-IM50 and IM70 models sport dual 8.8mm dynamic drivers, which the Japanese company dubs the "dual symphonic drive" system. The major difference between the two models is the partial use of aluminum in the housing of the IM70, while the IM50's housing is entirely plastic. The higher end ATH-IM01, IM02, IM03, and IM04 utilize balanced armatures, with the numerical portion of their product codes corresponding to the number of drivers installed. All models will come with removable cables using a newly developed, proprietary design.

The IM series will be released on November 15 in Japan. The IM50 and IM70 will sell for about ¥6000 and ¥11000, respectively. The ATH-IM01 ~ IM04 will be on sale for approximately ¥15000, ¥20000, ¥40000, and ¥60000 each. As always, expect actual street prices to be somewhat lower.

The ATH-IM50 comes in Black or White

The ATH-IM70 comes only in Red

Diagram illustrating the components of the IM70

The ATH-IM01

The ATH-IM02

The ATH-IM03

The ATH-IM04

Diagram illustrating the components of the IM04

ATH-IM50, IM70

オーテク、ダイナミック型2基の新方式イヤフォン - AV Watch

株式会社オーディオテクニカ | ニュースリリース詳細

ATH-IM01, IM02, IM03, IM04

オーテク、クアッドBAで約6万円のカナル型モニター - AV Watch

株式会社オーディオテクニカ | ニュースリリース詳細

Oct 10, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 427
Nice find! Too bad about a new connector. Would be nice to have cable options. Gotta read up on this dual symphonic driver thing.

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 427
Did anybody find any other info on the dual symphonic driver system? I'm assuming it's two synchronized 8.8 mm drivers facing each other in a sub-housing, but is there anything I'm missing? The prices on the IM50 and IM70 seem almost too good to be true.

It's also funny that the two dual dynamics have the higher product numbers! Admission that dynamics are superior to BAs?
ed7344cb_stirthepot.gif

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 427
Hey guys, I've translated sound impressions from here (IM50&70) and here(the BA models). It is noted that the source was an AK120 for all iems. They are slightly long, so I placed them within spoiler tags. Enjoy :)

IM50 & IM70:

The IM70 has a dynamic driver like thickness to it, with an impactful midrange and bass. If anything they have 'powerful balance' (not sure how to translate that) with strong mid-range projection. On the other hand, the mids and the highs retain clarity without being overshadowed. Since both driver units are dynamic, there is no mismatch in timbre often found in hybrid designs. It supports a unique sound unlike hybrids and other dual dynamics.

Lower down the production line, the IM50 also uses dual symphonic drivers. In comparison to the IM70, it's frequency response has less 'powerfulness' (again, not quite sure how to translate this) in the mids and lows. However, this gives it a more balanced, monitor like sound, which I personally prefer. The IM50 makes it easy to understand the benefits of a dual symphonic driver, where even the lows and mids have a highly resolving quality, in addition to the highs. Although inexpensive at give or take 6000yen, it deserves attention.

As stated earlier, the 'dual symphonic drivers' use two dynamic drivers, but it is by no means developed to power up the mids and lows; rather, its intent is to provide high resolution sound.
BA models:

Employing 4 BA drivers, the IM04 has a gorgeous (yes they used this exact word) sound deserving of its specifications. There is impact on the low end, and the mids/low mid are also thick and weighty. Extension in the highs are gentle while sporting a wide range.The stregnth in the mids and lows are most impressed upon the listener, with a sound that differs slightly from your typical monitor. However, 'incidental sound' (I assume this means micro details?) are plenty present. Those who look for both impact and high resolution in the same package are likely to have found their match.

The triple-driver IM03 is presented in a semi-transparent shell with a natural look. Including its price at around 40000 yen, it looks like it will be in direct competition with the SE535. It's sound has an extremely high level of completion(cohesiveness?), and while it has less impact in the lows compared to the flagship, this allows for a flatter frequency response, more monitor like and likely to be favored by many. While it is a BA iem, the highs are rich in texture, and the vocals very vivid. It has a wide sound-stage, and does not sound closed in. Succesfuly balancing price and sound quality, it is a model that warrants much attention.

The dual-BA IM02 has a refreshing quality to its sound that leans towards the treble. Without much emphasis on the mids and lows, one can appreciate the clear sounding and highly resolving qualities of BA drivers. On the other hand, those that prefer a more impactful or weightier sound should look elsewhere.

The single full range BA driver IM01 also is highly competent. It is cohesive all the way from the treble to the lows, sounding very natural without much emphasis on any frequency range. While it is a single driver, there is a quantifiable amount of bass with enough impact. Compared to the more expensive multi-driver models, its overall range is slightly narrow, and while it does have a 'cosy' (again, don't really know what the writer means) aspect, it presents a balanced neutral sound.

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #9 of 427
Thanks for that. It seems sadly in terms of final built quality they have taken a step back from what ck100pro is (maybe more than just a step). To this date ck100pro is the only high quality gear that I have owned (ignoring the connection).

I suppose that the titanium housing will have added to the price and perhaps the weight. I for one cannot wait to get their quad IEM. I thought I was excited about xba-H3 but this now got all my attention.

Also from what I have read IM03 aims to replace ck100pro whereas IM04 is seem to be an upgrade from that. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #12 of 427
oh man, maybe its time to swap my CK10s (probably not...  love them to death)?  but i hope they maintain the ATH house sound.  from those impressions, apparently they do.

IM03 seems my speed (though IM02 seems to have the CK10 sound).  someone needs to get these and do a thorough review of them!!

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #13 of 427
oh man, maybe its time to swap my CK10s (probably not...  love them to death)?  but i hope they maintain the ATH house sound.  from those impressions, apparently they do.

IM03 seems my speed (though IM02 seems to have the CK10 sound).  someone needs to get these and do a thorough review of them!!

I think I'll get im02 and im70 as they seem most interestingly priced :D

Oct 16, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #15 of 427
Very interested in these. May replace my SE535 w/ the IM04. If A-T IEMs are any good. I certainly love my A-T full sized headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back