Audio Technica's new APTX HD BT headphone ATH-DSR9BT
Nov 20, 2016 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

LajostheHun

500+ Head-Fier
I did a search for these but nothing came up.
http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/139169-audio-technica-ath-dsr9bt-preview-a-digital-future-for-high-end-headphones

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 18
Audio-Technica’s answer is the ATH-DSR9BT: the first over-ear headphones to ditch the digital-to-analogue (DAC) conversion process and deliver a true digital signal from source to drivers.

Without a DAC there's no analogue conversion in this proprietary process and therefore no added distortion for the most accurate reproduction.

Please correct me if I am mistaken...but isn't a conversion from digital to analogue necessary for there to be audible sound?

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 18
Yes, I'm not exactly sure how AT managed this, more info from them is needed for sure.

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 18
I think it is more likely that the writer of that post has an incomplete understanding of things.

No, AT says the same thing on their site, and claim it is a brand new "technology". But they don't explain much beyond that.

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #6 of 18
I'm under the assumption that they somehow developed a way for the drivers to see 1s and 0s, and vibrate based on what it sees instead of the traditional, 1s and 0s to an analogue signal that then travels to the driver. These drivers apparently know that 1100010100101 means violin middle A (not really). Sounds like splitting hairs but if it reduces the slight delay in bluetooth headphones right now, count me in.

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #9 of 18
  Will these work with iPhone 7, when connected with microUSB–lightning cable?

No idea, but I received my pair the other day. I don't have a microUSB lightning cable to try it out with though

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #10 of 18
No idea, but I received my pair the other day. I don't have a microUSB lightning cable to try it out with though

Do you happen to have the Apple lightning camera conmector kit? If so you can then connect this to any USB->micro USB cable and see if the iPhone can then stream directly to the DSR9. I've gotten this to work with external DAC-amps such as Chord Hugo and verified I can send high resolution music (at least 96kHz/24bit) since the Chord tells you the signal quality.

Also can you confirm if the DSR9 works with other "general" micro USB cable. I read one review saying the housing is very tight and only the included cable would fit in.

Jun 3, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #11 of 18
I got a pair yesterday. Knocked up a first impressions this morning on my blog and have been using them as much as possible. Connected via bluetooth and USB to 3 devices, MacBook Pro, LG G6 and iPhone 7 Plus. I have the lightning to usb camera adapter (latest version that allows power too) and tried it with my iPad. It needed power to work and once I added power it did work. My LG G6 has APT-X HD so I will be testing more to see what benefits that brings.

I haven't come to a conclusion yet on sound quality as far too early to form an opinion.

Sep 7, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #12 of 18
I got a pair yesterday. Knocked up a first impressions this morning on my blog and have been using them as much as possible. Connected via bluetooth and USB to 3 devices, MacBook Pro, LG G6 and iPhone 7 Plus. I have the lightning to usb camera adapter (latest version that allows power too) and tried it with my iPad. It needed power to work and once I added power it did work. My LG G6 has APT-X HD so I will be testing more to see what benefits that brings.

I haven't come to a conclusion yet on sound quality as far too early to form an opinion.

Hey Gavin, I'm curious to hear your impressions on the aptx HD vs wired comparison :)

Sep 8, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #13 of 18
I think there has to be an electromechanical actuator of sort like a electromagnetic driver. And maybe the zeros and ones are working a switch like someone said about the class D. In the class D circuit a comparator checks the analog voltage to determine if you need to jack up a step or jack down. With zeros and ones I bet they digitally jack the house down and sometimes up.

Sep 8, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #14 of 18
I think I have patentable idea to make this product better, even thought product hasn't even come out yet. But that's besides the point. Who do I contact about this? I don't want to nullify the patentability of the idea by posting on public domain. Otherwise I would definitely share with the headfi community.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #15 of 18
So after having owned these for about 9 months, I wrote up probably the biggest review on the internet about these. With regards to aptx HD vs wired, I noticed very little difference. It felt like the soundstage was a bit wider when wired, but I don't think I would have noticed any difference if I wasn't actively looking for differences. It's really subtle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back