Audio Technica's Headphones.
Aug 23, 2011 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

ExquisiteZero

New Head-Fier
Yeah I heard of Audio Technica's Headphones and they look really fancy. But what really caught my eye is the ATH-SJ33. I am really not sure what to expect. I mean, it costs $70++(or more I forgot) in Singapore and I am just a student. I don't wanna spend those money and get crap in return if you know how I feel. 

I am the type of person that do not like TOO much bass. But I like strong and "impactful" bass. Not the one that is overwhelming. Not even over 9000 hours burn time can get me into the jizz. I don't know what you mean by Mids and Highs. Sorry, I'm quite a newbie :3

I like it when you have strong and "impactful" bass, and I want the "voice" of the song to be clear. Yeah that's it.

So yeah. Opinions?

I'm new btw. ^_^

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #2 of 28

you might want to read this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/529097/ath-sj11-or-ath-sj33-or-ath-sj55
and
http://www.headfonia.com/audio-technicas-entry-level-trio-sj11-sj33-and-sj55/

$70 seems a bit high for a sj33 unless you meant singapore dollars

I tried my friend's sj55 but found it's bass way too much for my taste, i won't recommend it if you're looking for clear mids (voice) as i feel that bass is spilling over it but that's just my opinion. Can't really say much for the 33s though, sorry.

as for mids and highs, here's a useful chart that displays various instruments and their frequency ranges:
http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm
lows [bass] are on the left w/ low frequencies, mids are in the middle, highs [treble] are on the left and have high frequencies 

also a newbie here =D

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 28
Ugh. I have difficulties deciding lol. The 55s have positive remarks about their sound quality. The bass is just nice and not spilling all over the place but then I have my reserves. The last thing  I want from my headphones is the overwhelming bass. 

Opinions?

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #4 of 28
Just save up a little more money and get something a little higher. I'm a student in singapore too and i know how it feels to have money constraints, but trust me, that bit more saved is worth the effort and wait!
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #5 of 28

Quote:
Just save up a little more money and get something a little higher. I'm a student in singapore too and i know how it feels to have money constraints, but trust me, that bit more saved is worth the effort and wait!
biggrin.gif

Yeps. I do have idea of saving up more money to get the superior ones. But I am really not sure what to get. Plus, I don't want to get those that costs $125~ or more. I'm only in Secondary School :p 

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #7 of 28
I will research on it. But generally, try not to have any audiophile. Because the place I visit doesn't have much audiophiles. Of course, I didn't really go take a close look but you get the idea. But I appreciate your suggestion a lot :3 Thanks! xD

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #8 of 28

Yeps. I do have idea of saving up more money to get the superior ones. But I am really not sure what to get. Plus, I don't want to get those that costs $125~ or more. I'm only in Secondary School :p 

I get what you're saying. I'm in sec 4 too. But It's an investment, you're gonna be living with it. I'm not saying lower-ends will sound bad, but you don't wanna be stuck with something bad for long, and be forced to up or downgrade, which will cost more. Either which, you should head to stereo or Jaben to audition some and see which one you like. I kinda like my sister's SQ-5's from ATH, so maybe you wanna check those out!

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #10 of 28
Hmm....How much does those cost? Well, I am not the kind of stingy people that don't like to waste money :p I just don't like to SAVE money. It's like...

"Okay, first week. Yay I have $30!" until it gets real monotonous because you have to wait for approx ~4 weeks to get $120 :p I'm not the type of "patient dude". Of course, I wouldn't wanna go wrong with things like headphones. I might go there. But normally, I always visit Parkway Parade. Because I live very close to there and it is the exam period I don't wanna go out too often. And I have responsibilities at home. Don't feel like explaining too much here. But thanks for your suggestions! I might go there with friends on the weekends.

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #13 of 28
I don't think the ad700's will be in your price range. It's about 200++ from amazon. You really should just try the cans out at Jaben or stereo. The people at Jaben are definitely welcoming and friendly.( never auditioned anything in stereo before, can't comment) but either way both stores should be able help you work something out for your price. Also, do look out for both their facebook pages. Both stores constantly have promotions

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #15 of 28
I saw this headphone in the Shootout: 89 Portable Headset thread and one caught my eye. ATH-M50. Well, it looks cool. Apart from that, the rating is good and it's cheap($109. Not sure which currency it is in). And I don't know if Jaben has it so I'll probably check it out some other day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back