Audio Technical CK9 canalphones
Jan 13, 2007 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

DJGeorgeT

Headphoneus Supremus
f_audiotechnica_athck9.jpg

Anyone tried them? I wanna get them, but only if they are worth it.

Jan 13, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #2 of 15
IMO not worth the price. But this is coming from someone who does not like the sound of balanced armatures...

Jan 14, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO not worth the price. But this is coming from someone who does not like the sound of balanced armatures...

wat will u recommend at CK9 price ?

Jan 14, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #5 of 15
i own 1... the sound is better than um1, sf3 imo... it a water down shure E4... do note that i also own SF5pro and im716 and i find them all on par in sound quality...

Jan 28, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #6 of 15
Since today the CK-9 is on my shortlist to replace my Sony EM70´s. Today I went to my favourite audioshop to try out the Altec Lansing IM716. I read a lot about them and they are supposed to be Etymotics in disguise. They gave me an Audio Technica ATHA25-D to play with because I didn´t bring my LDM+. Anyway, the IM716 was a big disappointment. Even with the amp there was almost no sound. The triple flanges feel like sellery sticks in my ears and it was hard to get a good seal. I listen to a wide range of music so I need a IEM that has a good frequency range. First I tried some Marilyn Manson, Irresponsible Hate Theme. The guitars came over well but the singer sounded way in the back. The biggest problem was the volume which even at full blast barely made it out of the drivers. Next I tried Carmina Burana by Orff. Same thing, voices sound too close together, highs are lacking and almost no bass. The last thing I tried was Kathie Melua, Ninety nine bicycles. There was no improvement over my Sony´s. Overall the soundquality was not better than the IEM´s I already have. The build quality is also very plasticky and the build in bass booster amplifies a bit but muddles the bass. I don´t know about the Etymotics but if these are it, then I pass.

Because I hadn't read any reviews of the CK-9´s, I was curious. The shop didn´t have a demo pair for me but they actually unpacked a brand new pair for me to try. I tried the same three songs to compare with the previous set. This was a night-and-day difference! Marilyn sang more menacing directly into my skull, guitars were clearly separate from the bass line and the drums and cymbals didn´t end up in a big tangle like they sometimes do on my Sony's. The voices in Carmina Burana sounded so clear that you could almost hear which singer stood where. Last but not least, Katy sounded like she should, sweet, rounded and very mellow. I have heard these songs more times than I can count but this was the first time I got goosebumps. I haven´t tried UM Super.fi5 yet nor Shure EC3 or 4 but the CK-9´s are on top of my list at this moment. The price is not bad, especially not in Singapore so I might just buy them this week.

Jan 28, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since today the CK-9 is on my shortlist to replace my Sony EM70´s. Today I went to my favourite audioshop to try out the Altec Lansing IM716. I read a lot about them and they are supposed to be Etymotics in disguise. They gave me an Audio Technica ATHA25-D to play with because I didn´t bring my LDM+. Anyway, the IM716 was a big disappointment. Even with the amp there was almost no sound. The triple flanges feel like sellery sticks in my ears and it was hard to get a good seal. I listen to a wide range of music so I need a IEM that has a good frequency range. First I tried some Marilyn Manson, Irresponsible Hate Theme. The guitars came over well but the singer sounded way in the back. The biggest problem was the volume which even at full blast barely made it out of the drivers. Next I tried Carmina Burana by Orff. Same thing, voices sound too close together, highs are lacking and almost no bass. The last thing I tried was Kathie Melua, Ninety nine bicycles. There was no improvement over my Sony´s. Overall the soundquality was not better than the IEM´s I already have. The build quality is also very plasticky and the build in bass booster amplifies a bit but muddles the bass. I don´t know about the Etymotics but if these are it, then I pass.

Because I hadn't read any reviews of the CK-9´s, I was curious. The shop didn´t have a demo pair for me but they actually unpacked a brand new pair for me to try. I tried the same three songs to compare with the previous set. This was a night-and-day difference! Marilyn sang more menacing directly into my skull, guitars were clearly separate from the bass line and the drums and cymbals didn´t end up in a big tangle like they sometimes do on my Sony's. The voices in Carmina Burana sounded so clear that you could almost hear which singer stood where. Last but not least, Katy sounded like she should, sweet, rounded and very mellow. I have heard these songs more times than I can count but this was the first time I got goosebumps. I haven´t tried UM Super.fi5 yet nor Shure EC3 or 4 but the CK-9´s are on top of my list at this moment. The price is not bad, especially not in Singapore so I might just buy them this week.

For the iM716s, you've listed all the signs of a poor seal (if any seal at all) ESPECIALLY given away by the volume problem. The iM716s are especially hard to get an excellent seal with. You really have to push the suckers in.

The latter point is especially true when compared to the Shure and Audio-Technica series IEMs, which adopt a single-flange flex-tip design which is MUCH easier to obtain a seal with.

Jan 29, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #8 of 15
Thanks! I'll try again. I haven't had much experience with stucking triple flanges in my ears and they are BIG!
tongue.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #9 of 15
CK9 look so much like the E500!

Singapura: Triflanges are supposed to go in pretty darn deep Ideally, you're ear canal opening should at the very least come up to the base of the third flange. The exact depth of insertion obviously varies from person to person.

Jan 29, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #10 of 15
Yeah, the tri-flanges are hard to work with. Ideally, I push in far enough so that I feel the bend of the driver housing (downward L) push against my ear. For others, I can imagine the pain of doing this would be excruciating.

IMO the Audio-Technica CK9's easily look aesthetically superior to other universal IEMs. I'm wondering what kind of barrel it has and what tips it would be compatible with. I'm also interested in what kind of technology its using, since I'm not sure if Audio-Technica uses armatures regularly in their earphone range.

Worst thing about it might be the pricing for people in the U.S. (like myself). It's much easier to obtain a safer bet like an E4 or ER4 in its price range.

Jan 29, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 15
You can order CK-9's in Singapore at Bluetin.com for SGD 232 (USD 150,74) excluding P&P. They feel a lot more solid than the IM716 imho. The wire is thick and can be worn classic style (down) or around the ears (Shure style). I won't buy them though until I've tried the UE SF5's and Shure E3 and 4C's. May take a few more (and longer) sessions in the shop.

Jan 29, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura

you really gotta shove IEM's right in. The bottom of the eartip should be at the opening of your ear canal. It may be uncomfortable or even painful, but you get used to it, and if you don't there are tonnes of different sized, different material tips you can replace the flanges with after you buy. Try getting them deeper in for now and see if they sound any better.

Jan 29, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #14 of 15
Essentially all universal IEMs might very well feel cheap, as the housing is comprised primarily of plastic. Robustness is important though. While I realize the iM716 is definitely extremely light and may thus feel very cheap, I do feel that it is put together well and that it is very robust (I seriously torture mine).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back