Audio Technica
Mar 14, 2004 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Sczervok

100+ Head-Fier
Ok... so I'm trying to slide into the area of more expensive phones (IE, those that cost more than $20), and so I was wondering about Audio Technica phones..

Ch1nkster got A900s, and to me, they sound like any other full sized headphone over $150 (I'm working on it..). What are the pros and cons on this one?

Also, there are these Sovergn (or something) wood sorta phones... I guess they're made out of some japanese tree or something... My guess (due to price tag, and materials used) would be that these sound pretty damn good... anyone ever try these ones out?

And for the cheapie end.. There are the CM5s. The earbud sorta things. $50 about. I was thinking this might be a step up for me, but I have no clue how they sound..

Mar 14, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #2 of 41
A900 -

Pros: One of the best unamped, closed headphone for under $200. Extremely comfortable, extremely versatile. Sound good out of just about anything, no amp needed.

Cons: If you've already got a good, high class amp, there are other headphones in this price range that'll sound better amped. However, none will sound as good unamped.

The wood series headphones -

If you look in the featured reviews, Bangraman has done a good run-down of some of the wood headphones from Audio Technica alongside the CD3000.

There are some good/bad characteristic about almost every single one of them... but none of them has that overall achievement and performance of the CD3000. I've tried the W1000 and W2002 myself before, they don't really stand out, there are something to do beautifully, but too specific to be of general usage for me.

Given the price tag on those things, I just can't justify buying them. However, they are absolutely gorgeous headphones. If I had money to burn, I'd buy them just for the purpose of their looks.... they're not bad sounding at all either, just that it's quite hard to justify given CD3000 cost less and sound better overall.

Sorry, never tried their earbuds. so no idea on those..

Mar 15, 2004 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 41
I love my W1000s - they're so pretty, and sound good, too. The Japanese tree is a cherry tree. Haven't seen the W2002 Audtio-Technicas in person, but I would love to give them an audition. Still, if your current phones are $20, either of these would be over-kill - unless you have money burning in your pocket! (And the W2002s were a limited edition - you'll need to find a current owner willing to sell.)

I've read great things about the ATH-900s and am very tempted to try them out for my computer set up. Then again, there are the Sennheiser HD-595s. Still waiting for a comparison of the two.

Once you start buying headphones, you are hooked - a never-ending obsession for most of us.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 15, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 41
Obsession is right... Especially with the overall build and appeal quality of the Audio Technicas. You will want to start collecting them just because they look amazing.

You should look into the AT EW9 as well, its made with cherry tree wood, they look amazing for a clip on.. They will be mine soon...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 15, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 41
There were a few reviews on the EW9 (the wood clip on), claiming that for the price they just aren't worth it. They look beautiful, sure, and although sound wasn't bad by any means, for the price there is better. The A900s are excellent phones. Easily driven without an amp out of most anything (which I assume you won't have if you are using $20 phones). Never tried the higher end wood phones, but I'd sure love to.

Mar 15, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 41
Obsession... I guess you could say that with an A100Ti/W100/A900/A1000/W1000 in my past, now a W2002, and a D1000 on order. And that's not counting the other manufacturers of course
biggrin.gif

I'd be the first to say that compared to the CD3000, the W1000 is bad sonic value. Although the W2002 is generally superior to the CD3000 (except width of staging), once again on a bang-per-buck level it cannot compete with the CD3000.

With the high-end A-T's you are paying in some part for the aesthetics or build of the phones, although their sonic delivery is definitely 'high end'.

Mar 15, 2004 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

I'd be the first to say that compared to the CD3000, the W1000 is bad sonic value.

bangraman - I can't say you are wrong, since I've never tried the CD3000 headpphones ( though I would like to) but now that Sony is no longer supporting or manufacturing the CD3000s, do you think they are worth the investment?

Mar 15, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 41
That's more debatable if that is true. But then if that was the case, I could have made allowances for the W2002 in the comparison I did and yet I felt no need to do so. Discontinuation gives a phone no disadvantages in terms of how it sounds.

I'd read here that support was discontinued for them, but they are still on the general catalogue in Japan. Which means there is still warranty support for it.

Mar 15, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 41
OverKill? Hell yea... All them high end phones sound the same to me. But the CM5s seem like a good place to start...
My cousin got A900s, and from what I can tell, they sound pretty good. Can't tell them from other high end phones at that level, though there are some subtle differences between these and MX500s. (someone's going to kill me for that comment)

So, the A900 is very popular because of great sound, even without an amp eh? I have no clue what an amp even looks like... oh well.
I'll try his on later (probably spring break, or summer) when I go up to see him again.

Mar 15, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #10 of 41
Heck, they're still listed for sale on SonyStyle.com for the original MSRP of $699.99
wink.gif

It's a rumor that's around here, there's no confirmed truth for it anywhere... or confirmed denial of it either. Who knows?

Mar 15, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by oneeyedhobbit
There were a few reviews on the EW9 (the wood clip on), claiming that for the price they just aren't worth it. They look beautiful, sure, and although sound wasn't bad by any means, for the price there is better. The A900s are excellent phones. Easily driven without an amp out of most anything (which I assume you won't have if you are using $20 phones). Never tried the higher end wood phones, but I'd sure love to.

I agree $199 plus shipping is what I paid for my A900s. I cant see how some wood clipons would compete.. Are the silver ones any good?

I am in desperate need of some portable phones. I have the A900 for at desk/home listening, and the Shure E3 for high noise/high demand listening, but I need somthing to fill the void inbetween, somthing thats simple.

I thought the clipons were the way to go.. : /

Mar 15, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Discontinuation gives a phone no disadvantages in terms of how it sounds.

You are absolutely right.
redface.gif
Please disregard my previous post. And, as noted by lindrone, it may be an unsubstantiated rumor that the CD3000 headphone is no longer made or supported. Sorry - I bought into the rumor!

Mar 15, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by blux
I am in desperate need of some portable phones. I have the A900 for at desk/home listening, and the Shure E3 for high noise/high demand listening, but I need somthing to fill the void inbetween, somthing thats simple.

I thought the clipons were the way to go.. : /

Why not just grab a cheap pair of KSC-35s? Simple, great sounding for the price, and very easy on your "almost empty" wallet.

Admittedly they don't attract the ladies quite like a snazzy pair of AT woodies.

Mar 15, 2004 at 7:59 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by OakIris
You are absolutely right.
redface.gif
Please disregard my previous post. And, as noted by lindrone, it may be an unsubstantiated rumor that the CD3000 headphone is no longer made or supported. Sorry - I bought into the rumor!

Not to say that you're absolutely wrong... it's just unconfirmed either way, there's no official word from Sony in any regard. Most of the customer service at Sony doesn't even know that either the CD3000 or R10 exists!!!

Oh wellz... we know the customer service is near non-existent for Sony anyway.

Mar 15, 2004 at 8:07 AM Post #15 of 41
I still can't decide what I think of the W11JPNs as compared to the CD3000s -- at some point I have to get the 3000s again just to see how they compare. The W11s are excellent phones, and IMO are great for a variety of genres, something that I'm not sure can be said about the comparably priced W1000s. The thing is, the W11s may very well be Audio-Technica's very close answer to the CD3000s. They look the same (same earpiece shape though the ATHs are obviously smaller) and to me have a relatively similar sonic signature. And they both sold at nearly the same original price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back