Audio Technica Woodies
Apr 15, 2015 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Arcamera

1000+ Head-Fier
Calling all fans of the AT wooden closed-back design headphones. Does anyone here have them all? I'm sure people here have quite a few at least. I'm also wondering what people think of the different wood options--is it just aesthetic, or are there noticeable sonic differences? I'm specifically wondering about the W1000X ("Grandioso")--American cherry-- vs. the W1000Z (Maestoso)--Teak wood. Thoughts?

I have and love the W3000ANV ("Japan"), but am thinking about picking up another model, for variety's sake. Recommendations? Thanks. Also, I wonder where they are going next with their flagship designs?

Apr 15, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 4
  Calling all fans of the AT wooden closed-back design headphones. Does anyone here have them all? I'm sure people here have quite a few at least. I'm also wondering what people think of the different wood options--is it just aesthetic, or are there noticeable sonic differences? I'm specifically wondering about the W1000X ("Grandioso")--American cherry-- vs. the W1000Z (Maestoso)--Teak wood. Thoughts?

I have and love the W3000ANV ("Japan"), but am thinking about picking up another model, for variety's sake. Recommendations? Thanks. Also, I wonder where they are going next with their flagship designs?

I own the ATH-W1000X and ATH-ESW9.
One of the reasons Audio Technica might use difference type of wood is just to be able make the headphones seem more different.
I can't say the change in wood might not make an improvement in audio quality, but it does make it a little easier for Audio Technica to justify the price differences.
The change in wood might also be for making the headphones lighter??

Could just be that as Teak wood costs more then Cherry wood, it makes it easier to justify the W1000Z higher price.

Apr 15, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 4
Own the W1000X and W5000

I think the type of wood used make negligible audible effect, as there are other factors/variables that will affect the sound by a greater degree:

Driver tuning
Size (diameter/inner chamber volume)
Dampening (orientation, material etc)
Earpads
Bass port implementation
-----

TL;DR Makes more sense to judge the wood material on aesthetics, than the sonic characteristics it brings, which will be overshadowed by other factors anyway.

Regarding the direction of AT's flagship, I found the release of the R70X interesting. Perhaps a high impedance flagship? I would like them to keep the 3-D wing band, and I hope they keep with the 'coloured' sound signature whatever that may be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back