Audio Technica W1000 vs DT 990?
Feb 24, 2007 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Madgravity34

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all. I am considering my first real Head-fi purchase. So far the only thing I have bought are the vibes and am about to purchase an ALO connector and am currently deciding on an amp. My question, however, was if I had to decide between these two headphones Audio Technica W1000 and DT 990, which one would be best?

I like trance and techno a lot. Mostly artists like Above and Beyond, ATB, 4 Strings, Armin Van Burren, and Ian Van Dahl. I also listen to rock and a lot of stuff in between like Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, and the likes. Bass is important for me too, but clarity is as well.

Which of these would you recommend? If you have any other advice please keep in mind that my budget is just around $400 for headphones.

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 7
For the types of music you listed, I'd take the DT990. The W1000 is a little light in the bass for trance, and can be a little bright up top when not paired with relatively upscale equipment. The DT990 has ample bass and works quite well for rock and trance. The highs aren't too forgiving of poorly recorded material, but are a bit more polite than the W1000's IME.

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #3 of 7
Would your opinion change if I was using an amp such as the Hornet or the LDM Micro-Tube amp? Right now I am leaning towards the DT 990's, but was curious how you would rate them when amped.

Feb 25, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 7
haven't heard the AT's but the dt990s are excellent for trance/techno.

Feb 25, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 7
To get the W1000's sounding pretty good, I'd want a system built around a fairly good source (Rega Apollo or Stello DA100 pop to mind as relatively less expensive possibilities) and a tube or very warm SS amp (like the EC-SS). With lesser or mismatched gear, the W1000 would sound thin and somewhat bright to most people, which is why they have such a bad rap. It's not that they need a lot of power, they need an amp with a certain type of sound signature.

The Hornet is not an amp I'd pair with either of the headphones in question, as both have a tendency to expose upstream brightness/sibilance, which is certinly something the Hornet is a bit guilt of IME. The LD amp I heard (the II+, I think) was one of the worst headphone amps I've ever heard. I don't know if the Micro is similar, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

Feb 25, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 7
I have both and even though I like the W1000 a lot more.. for that type of music, I'd definitely pick the DT990. They almost seem made for it.

Feb 25, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for all the help guys! Dt 990 it is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back