Audio Technica W1000: After the first week......
Feb 6, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #17 of 24
The W1000 has a much quirkier sound, and personally, I think the love for the W5000 over it is justified. Stock, it is much better in almost every way provided you get the correct fit. Even with modding them, I could never get the W1000 to really appeal to me, while the W5000 did from the get go and with modding just got even better (and much better all around). The W1000, always sounded just a bit congested.

The W1000 was a great headphone for heavy music, and was good for pop, rock, and reproducing live versions of those music and other intimate live events (although I'd still prefer the W5000 for that even, due to its imaging and in my opinion better midrange, and overall better detail retrieval). I could see it being good for techno and electronica. Both are speedy, but the W5000 is relentless without really sounding aggressive like the W1000. I think the bass on the W5000 was also better (detail, texture, and extension), and the W1000 seemed to focus on midbass and it was somewhat pronounced in that respect (I would guess that people who feel the W1000 has better bass didn't get a good seal, as the W5000 actually has pretty stellar bass except for slam which can be helped without ruining it).

Sorry if I'm raining on your parade, just thought I'd give some insight for those trying to choose between the two. They are actually quite different sounding, but the W5000 really shows off its abilities better.

Prices for both have really fallen through the floor, so I think a lot more people should give them a try. I really miss my W5000 now.

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #18 of 24
I totally agree on that W1K / W5K ranking. The W1k is more beautiful and has a better fit for non-asians though.

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I totally agree on that W1K / W5K ranking. The W1k is more beautiful and has a better fit for non-asians though.

The hell is that supposed to mean?
beyersmile.png

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #20 of 24
It's about the shape of the "new" headband of the W5K, which doesn't work for approx. 75% of europeans and north americans (giants with big head
tongue.gif
), whereas most asians (dwarfs with child head size
icon10.gif
) don't have issues. Makes sense, as AT produces the main part of its products for the asian market.

Feb 7, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's about the shape of the "new" headband of the W5K, which doesn't work for approx. 75% of europeans and north americans (giants with big head
tongue.gif
), whereas most asians (dwarfs with child head size
icon10.gif
) don't have issues. Makes sense, as AT produces the main part of its products for the asian market.

Ah, I hear ya.

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #22 of 24
**Update**

Two weeks later, these are sounding even better. I can honestly say I haven't touched my SR80's since. Songs just keep getting better on this. My view is still that with the right amp these can pretty much pull off any genre WELL as long as the recording is clean. Rock, Jazz, Hip Hop, Classical, Electronica and string have all sounded amazing.
The bass is tight and deep, it's just not overwhelming. These phones need the right amp in order to have that "full" non bright sound. They're not even that bright with a bright amp.

Only thing this headphone lacks IMO is overwhelming farting bass, which sometimes you may desire...but for me they provide more than enough through bass deepness, bass speed and bass detail instead. Musically they are amazing though..I've been missing hours of sleep almost every night just listening to my CD collection.

Addicting.

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #24 of 24
Yup, one resister per channel except for ground. I bought all the parts from Radio Shack, I think it cost less then $15.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarthel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this as simple as soldering a resistor in series with the signal?

thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back