Audio Technica W-10VTG Impressions
Jul 17, 2005 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

overlunge

1000+ Head-Fier
After selling my A900 few months back, I thought I won't own another pair of Audio Techinica cans again. Not long ago, Jason (
icon10.gif
Thanks) post a thread on his newly acquired VTG. The headphone left a very vivid impression in my mind and I begain my search...

Fortunately I came across a pair VTG for trade on one of the Taiwanese Forum for a pair of E4c. Due to the rarity of the chance, I grabed it with both hands. (Might rushed the deal a bit, but was a happy trade)

Long story short, this morning the courier man droped off the W-10VTG with brand spanking new pads (the wings are a bit worn). I just couldn't wait, called in late for work (sorry to all my patients), I had to give them a listen.

I'm currently discovering the bliss of Eva Cassidy's astonishing vocal. I hooked it up to my digital rig, and skipped to Eva Cassidy/wonderful world/Track 8/Penny To My Name.

Wow...

I haven't listen to a wood housing headphones for awhile, and man do I miss it. The woodwind instrument has the RS1-like magical feeling to it, the vocals are resolved, upper mid and trebles are slightly emphasised (no sibilance on this particular track), slight roll off at trebles, bass was deep, slightly grainy, and short of impact.

Being the only closed headphones I own at the moment, I rediscovered some of the minor details in the track. (false sense of resolution/detail?) And also being used to rest of my neutral headphones (short of SR-60), I feel the VTG is the more coloured headphones that compliments my other headphones well.

And the look, was Vintage...
ATH-W-10VTG.jpg

I'm hoping to get my hands on a pair of LTD soon, and who knows, might be the start of the ATH-W fever! (Gee, thanks, Jason
icon10.gif
)

Overlunge

Jul 18, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Is this your first AT woody?

Yes, and probably not the last one... anyways, check your PM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by South_Korean
lol sorry to all my patients. you mustve been very eager

Ha ha, I had to start work late, and kept my fingers crossed that no more new patients books in...

Overlunge (at work and thinking VTG)

Jul 18, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 15
nice headphone.
smily_headphones1.gif

I should get replacement pads for mine too... actually for most of my older ATH-W cans. they really can use some.

Jul 18, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
nice headphone.
smily_headphones1.gif

I should get replacement pads for mine too... actually for most of my older ATH-W cans. they really can use some.

How did I know you would show up sooner or later. Grrrrr
rs1smile.gif

Jul 18, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

How did I know you would show up sooner or later. Grrrrr
rs1smile.gif

whenever I get the chance to remind you of your lack of the W10VTG, I'm all for it.
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

whenever I get the chance to remind you of your lack of the W10VTG, I'm all for it.
biggrin.gif

you totally got me there dude.

So how do you find the vtg's compare to your jpn's and w100's?

Jul 18, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

you totally got me there dude.

So how do you find the vtg's compare to your jpn's and w100's?

Hi ayt999,

I also am interested in the question. I have noticed, you short of W-10LTD and W-11R in your profile, is there particular reason that you giving them a miss?

Overlunge

Jul 18, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Hi ayt999,

I also am interested in the question. I have noticed, you short of W-10LTD and W-11R in your profile, is there particular reason that you giving them a miss?

Overlunge

cos the meatstick can't find them. Even in Japan.
rs1smile.gif

Jul 18, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

cos the meatstick can't find them. Even in Japan.
rs1smile.gif

that pretty much explains it.
tongue.gif

if I'm here more often I think I'll have those two too, but I only come here for vacation for maybe a month or two per year so I miss out on a lot of the used ATH-W series headphones that come up on the used market every once in a while.

or better yet, if I started the ATH-W collecting a lot earlier (I did purchase my ATH-W11JPN retail when it was being released and in production after all) I wouldn't be having this problem.

as for the W10VTG / W100 / W11JPN comparison, the first two headphones are with me in Japan, but the third (and another pair of W100's) is in the states so I think the comparison would be a bit difficult right now.

Jul 18, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #13 of 15
lol, that is the certain one i listened to in Taiwan.
biggrin.gif

The pad is about 10 years old. Get a new one.
lambda.gif

Jul 18, 2005 at 12:10 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by oScARSr
lol, that is the certain one i listened to in Taiwan.
biggrin.gif

The pad is about 10 years old. Get a new one.
lambda.gif

Hi oScARSr,

So nice to see you here too! I have the previous owner to change the pads before he shipped it. mmm... Brand new pads. It's all good, but the 3D wings are a little bit worn...

Wonder where I can get those...

Quote:

as for the W10VTG / W100 / W11JPN comparison, the first two headphones are with me in Japan, but the third (and another pair of W100's) is in the states so I think the comparison would be a bit difficult right now.

Arhh...
eek.gif
second pair of W100? Ever wanting to part way with it? Please PM me. (terminal ATH-W fever)

Cheers,

Overlunge

Oct 30, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #15 of 15
my pair just arrived. coming from sony sa5k it definitely lacks details. it makes up for it in other ways however.
at first they sounded a tad slow, but after a fifteen minute warm up things played right along. weird, good prat though.
it has a lot of body portrayal, for that reason i've never heard jimi hendrix sound so nice out of fones! the mids sort of get drowned out by the bass prominence, the treble is nice could use more bite but it clashes and shimmers just fine.

strings are definitely their strong suit, like grados but with more sweetness and less spiciness.
for some reason tonality of piano is spot on, yet there's no authority behind it, that strike and resonating decay is missing (recessed lower mids?).
unfortunately i don't like the bass at all, there's not a lot of snapiness or texture, notes kinda smear.
onto vocals - joni mitchell sounds subdued, i prefer the sony's here. she's not on my lap but within arms reach grado-like trait, i dig that. wish i could just get rs1 drivers in one of these closed 'woodies'...

i may need to track down a w10ltd =\ also doesnt help that i think the ltd is the best looking one of the bunch (i'm biased, i own natural cherry enclosed speakers). despite my somewhat non-positive impressions, i find myself liking them a lot... dunno why but it still satisfies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back