Audio Technica Upgrading Product Lines?
Aug 3, 2012 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

BRSxIgnition

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wondering when the audio company is expected to make some new headphones?

As far as I know, other than re-releasing the extremely popular ATH-M50's in multiple colors and cord configurations, they haven't introduced anything within the last year or so for the mid-range audiophile.. Denon, V-MODA, PSB, Polk Audio - all of them are releasing new $300 - $500 closed headphones, but Audio Technica has been staying with the ATH-M50 since I first got into higher-end audio.

Does anyone know when to expect them to launch a new line?

Aug 3, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 19
I'm unaware of any new products, either. And even beyond mid level, the past 4 years or so has seen a lot of new high end products from many of the other big name manufacturers. Sennheiser has had the HD800s and HD700s, Beyerdynamic released the T1 and the T5p and others, Audez'e's LCD2 and 3, Denon seems like they might be rebooting their whole line, or starting a whole new line (I haven't followed it that closely), Ultrasone has released the Edition 10s. There have been a lot of new entries into the high end section, but Audio Technica seems to not really have made any releases, at least as far as I can tell. While I don't follow all of the releases as closely as many others do, I feel like I'd have been aware of any release. Its kind of a bummer imo because I really liked my Audio Technica AD700s and M50s and would be interested in a new high end offering from them.

Aug 3, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 19
I hope Audio Technica can further improve the sound quality in ATH-M50 since there are many new headphones coming out which are much better.

If Audio Technica serious in this matter, I would like to see:

1) To upgrade the overall headphone construction by incorporating more metals
2) To improve the mids, sounds stage & detal separation, smoother treble
3) To improve the bass with tighter & deeper

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
I'm unaware of any new products, either. And even beyond mid level, the past 4 years or so has seen a lot of new high end products from many of the other big name manufacturers. Sennheiser has had the HD800s and HD700s, Beyerdynamic released the T1 and the T5p and others, Audez'e's LCD2 and 3, Denon seems like they might be rebooting their whole line, or starting a whole new line (I haven't followed it that closely), Ultrasone has released the Edition 10s. There have been a lot of new entries into the high end section, but Audio Technica seems to not really have made any releases, at least as far as I can tell. While I don't follow all of the releases as closely as many others do, I feel like I'd have been aware of any release. Its kind of a bummer imo because I really liked my Audio Technica AD700s and M50s and would be interested in a new high end offering from them.

A1000X and A2000X - December 2008
W1000X - November 2009

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
I hope Audio Technica can further improve the sound quality in ATH-M50 since there are many new headphones coming out which are much better.

If Audio Technica serious in this matter, I would like to see:

1) To upgrade the overall headphone construction by incorporating more metals
2) To improve the mids, sounds stage & detal separation, smoother treble
3) To improve the bass with tighter & deeper

i think youre talking about w1000x and other higher tier headphones :wink:

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #12 of 19
I said last year or so - but the feedback is welcome.

They don't seem like they're planning to get into the closed portable market though, which is odd. The Mid-fi/Hi-fi closed portable market is booming right now, with 8+ new headphones coming out over the summer/fall. I wonder why Audio Technica isn't improving on their massively popular M50's at all...

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #13 of 19
maybe they will surprise us with new batch of esw10s and similar portable headphones but in a later date, since alot of manufacturers are releasing new batch of portable headphones.

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #14 of 19
All the ones I mentioned were this year, but they're not closed portables if that's what you meant specifically. A new headphone of that type from AT would be pretty interesting.

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
A new headphone of that type from AT would be pretty interesting.

That's what I meant. The M50's are great, but they're $150 cans, and amazing for that quality. I want to know how great they can make $250 cans, or even $350 cans.

They need a new DJ/Studio flagship, I guess is what I'm saying. 

While they're busy with microphones and audiophile headphones, they're missing a lucrative part of the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back