Audio Technica site/excellent gaming headphones help...
Oct 17, 2005 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

chickennuggets

100+ Head-Fier
im looking at audio technica's site for some headphones. can you link which youd recommend form their site? i was recommended the ath-a900's but they're not on their site. nor are they under discontinued products. id be looking for these phones for primarily gaming and some music. mostly gaming from a creative x-fi sound card. not too into bass so i dont want overpowering bass in the phones. music is mostly metal, hardcore. games are cs:s, other fps's and mmo's(WoW, which has the worst audio) so, thats my query, thank you. if there are any other phones from different manufacturers youd recommend, please link from the manu.'s site, if youd be so kind. id prefer closed or sealed so i dont hear outside noise and id also prefer, i think theyre called circum aural?? where the pad goes around my ear. i have sony mdr-v600's now which i love, they fit wonderfully and are extremely comfortable expecially for long gaming sessions. thank you so much for bearing with me. thanks
k1000smile.gif

Oct 17, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 18
Oct 17, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 18
so those are it huh? ive already recieved that link elsewhere. those are the be all, end all ampless gaming headphone solution? thanks for the info, why arent they on at's site? id like some manufacturer info on them. any other phones anyone else would recommend based on the requirements id like? thanks a lot

Oct 17, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 18
I belive they are only made and sold in Japan, but Audio-cubes carries rare or hard to find japanese electronics here in the states. Muscians freind also carrys them , but they are 250$. Ill be getting a pair of the a900s soon as well.
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickennuggets
so those are it huh? ive already recieved that link elsewhere. those are the be all, end all ampless gaming headphone solution? thanks for the info, why arent they on at's site? id like some manufacturer info on them. any other phones anyone else would recommend based on the requirements id like? thanks a lot

Most people would recommend the DT770 for gaming because of the bass and explosions etc. that you get from them but if you are not wanting lots-o-bass then the A900 should be perfect.

Oct 17, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 18
ok great, thanks a lot. ill prolly end up with those perhaps but...are there any other recommendations besides the a900's and dt770's? and both of these are circum aural(???) im not sure if tats the correct terminology. i know for sure that the sonys i have feel excellent. thats what im shooting for. thanks again. id love to see some other recommendations. anything from sennheiser recommended?? thanks edit: unamped, thx

Oct 17, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

ok great, thanks a lot. ill prolly end up with those perhaps but...are there any other recommendations besides the a900's and dt770's? and both of these are circum aural(???) im not sure if tats the correct terminology. i know for sure that the sonys i have feel excellent. thats what im shooting for. thanks again. id love to see some other recommendations. anything from sennheiser recommended?? thanks edit: unamped, thx

Both the A900 and DT-770 feel excellent, they are most comfy.

The DT-770 probably needs an amp.

Another suggestion is the DT-250.

Unamped, you should probably get the A900.

Oct 17, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #10 of 18
I would have to suggest the A500's instead of the A900 since this is for gaming. The price difference just isn't worth it for gaming. My friend owned the A500's and then upgraded to the A900's after about 6 months or so and was disapointed with how much money he spent as an upgrade and got almost nothing out of it. If you are going to listen to a lot of music or atleast a good amount then I say go ahead and get the A900's if not then the A500's.

-Alex-

Oct 17, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

the a500's have a 500mW input power, the a900's a 2000mW input. any pros/cons along with that? which would be driven the best without an amp, i notice a 24ohm difference between the two

The 900's will be easier to drive, but both really easy to drive. My friend ran both directly out of an Audigy 2 ZS with NO amp.

-Alex-

Edit: Fixed an error.

Oct 18, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #13 of 18
bump

a900's huh? i want more votes and more suggestions. chances are im not spending my own money here so....whatever you guys think would be the best for the style of phone i like(i have mdr-v600's now, they feel AWESOME on my head, dont get me wrong i think they are excellent, they sound great) and the purpose(pc gaming). i just want something really good that i can keep for a few pc upgrades. thanks again

Oct 18, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
Most people would recommend the DT770 for gaming because of the bass and explosions etc. that you get from them but if you are not wanting lots-o-bass then the A900 should be perfect.

I have both the 770s and the a900s, the a900s are better for games, the bass is 9/10 the beyers and the soundstage is a lot better. Overall I like the a900s better, I bought the beyers first and now I have both. The beyers are great and sound better on some music but the a900s are better balanced and sounD great on all music types to me. If you decide you want beyers pm I am selling mine but for your needs I would go with the a900s, I ended up with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back