Audio Technica Question
Sep 22, 2008 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Deadneddz

100+ Head-Fier
Well, right now im looking for a full size headphone, as i sold my last one and am left without a full size pair.

Currently im listening to my UE11s through an Imod/iQube/Cryo Au/ag Lod.

Needless to say it sounds quite amazing.

But sometimes i really do not want to bother with plugging my ears and just want a nice full size pair when im at home and its nice and quiet.

Im really interested in either the Audio Technica AD2000 or the W5000.

From quite a bit of reading so far, it seems that the ad2ks have a leaner bass sound and has more emphasis on the treble. But mainly through less midbass and more upper midrange. Ive come under the influence that the ad2ks have ultra deep bass thats not incredibly impactful like the d5000s, but still very "there", while having a sort of "coloration" that produces a very foward midrange presentation.

Some say that the high end is a little recessed which has me wondering if the ad2ks lack the upper end of the frequency?

Still many say its an amazing headphone that has amazing attack and PRaT and is just a very enjoyable headphone.

Now my dilemma really begins when i try to research about the ATH W5000's.

Oh boy, i swear i cannot for the life of me really find a really indepth description about this can.

It seems to me that the ATH W5000 has deeper, more textured bass, but i cant really find out about that because most impressions that i read seem to have "fit issues" that inhibits the actual bass response of the W5000s.

But from peoples impressions it seems like they have a more recessed midrange compared to the ad2000s, which seems like a reason why some dislike the ad2000s in the long run.(That coloration seems to get to some people after the initial wow of listening to them). The W5000s are also described to have a larger soundstage and better treble response. But seem to have slower attack and PRaT compared with the AD2000ks.

The W5000s seem "on paper" to be a better headphone than the AD2ks.

Better treble response, a more neutral midrange, and deeper bass. While still being quick and having good attack.

Im not sure what to do, becuase it seems like everyone prefers the ad2ks.

I really havent seen anyone say they are really amazed by the W5000s.

So Why?

For now i will be using my iQube for amplification and my Imod as a source. But will upgrade to a home set up when i get the chance. So do not just recommend the ad2ks based on my current set up to power headphones.

Plus would they do the W5000s any justice at all?

Thanks a lot guys

My 100th Post.

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadneddz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone shed some light?

I cant comment on the W5000 as I never heard it before. But I do own AD2000.

All I can say is that after hearing the AD2000, I no longer need to purchase another headphone
tongue.gif
I was struggling to find a fault with the AD2000. Unfortunately I cant.
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 21
Well, I have not heard the AD2000, but I do have a few of the Audio-Technica woodies (W1000, W11jpn, W5000). Here are my thoughts on the W5000:

1. The most difficult issue with these headphones is the fit. I have a narrow head, and when I first got the W5000, I had a lot of trouble keeping them on. The earcups are spaced very far apart on the W5000, and the headphones felt like they would fly off my head if I turned it too fast. This seemed a little strange, since the W1000 and W11jpn fit me very nicely right out of the box. The W5000 is held together on the top by two springy metal loops, and even though they tend to retain their shape, if you spend enough time bending and compressing the loops, you can get the headphones to fit comfortably on your head. The leather on the pads is quite comfortable, and I now have no problems leaving these headphones on for an extended period of time.

2. The most important issue with these headphones is the fit. When I originally listened to the W5000, I wasn't all that impressed. They were OK, but I really didn't think that they were significantly better than the W1000. After bending the headphone into shape, the performance seemed to improve significantly. The bass was much better. The soundstage seemed to come right into focus. Having a proper seal with these headphones is crucial. I've heard it hypothesized that the majority of people who didn't like the sound of the W5000 were those who were unable to get them to fit right. Again, they probably aren't going to fit great right out of the box, but if you put in the time and effort to get them to really fit, you will be rewarded handsomely.

3. These headphones scale very well. With no amplification and a mediocre source, they are going to sound OK, but they won't be mindblowing. With a well-paired amp and a great source, they will. I have the matching amp for the W5000 (the AT-HA5000), and it does an admirable job driving these 'phones (though it is said that this amp doesn't match well with others). When paired with a great amp, the sound is very detailed and clean, but it may reveal deficiencies in your source. Over the weekend, I took out the DAC that I had in my headphone setup and just sent the output from my Wadia CD player straight into the headphone amp. My listening fatigue instantly vanished, and I was struck with how vivid the sound was. It was spectacular. Now I know why "Source first" is a mantra to many on these boards.

I think that if you have a good quality source and amp, the W5000 are very impressive. They sound clean and detailed, and they can really bring out the best in good recordings. Compared to the other woodies that I have, they are the champions of speed and detail, and I find myself reaching for them far more than the others. For more modest set-ups, they will sound good, but might not sound good enough to justify their price.

Again, I have not heard the AD2000, so I can't make a comparison there, but I hope you can pull something from my W5000 ramblings.

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 21
thanks for your help mister crash,

do you think for now, using my Imod as a source and the iQube as amplification the W5000s will sound pretty good?

The Imod is a pretty clean source and the iQube is a very neutral and transparent amp, especially for a portable. It puts out very deep bass and a clean sound without adding virtually any coloration.

I would definately like opinions on running the W5000 from my current setup as im not looking to get a "home setup" just yet.

Thanks guys

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cant comment on the W5000 as I never heard it before. But I do own AD2000.

All I can say is that after hearing the AD2000, I no longer need to purchase another headphone
tongue.gif
I was struggling to find a fault with the AD2000. Unfortunately I cant.
bigsmile_face.gif

lol, thats awesome, yet another count on the "AD2000s are awesome" scale

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 21
The W5000s definitely have fit issues, pretty much for everyone. Simply put, I don't know what they were thinking with the headband and the earpads. The headband is curved in such a way that the top is not going to fit as well as the bottom. The earpads are shaped funny, which further causes issues.

I think thicker earpads (that aren't shaped the same as the stock ones) would go a long way, towards solving the fit issues. The A900's would be good, but since they're made from cheap material no one would want to use them. I don't know if any of the other A-T phones have thicker pads that might fit (L3000?) that would be of similar material quality to the W5000's.

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 21
Well from what ive read, people say the L3000 pads are no thicker than the w5000, in fact they might be a little thinner.

Read this when i saw a post for someone trying to get different pads for their AD2000s.

Sep 22, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #10 of 21
wow thanks for the link, but im kind of curious about the W5000 having a "thinner" sound compared to the ad2k.

Once again related to the fit issues?

and can someone please give me an opinion of using the W5000 with my iQube/Imod/Cryo au/ag combo?

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #12 of 21
Both AD2000 and W5000 have fit issues. One is too tight and another too loose, so you should expect some headband bending/unbending to make them fit right. AD2000 has more bass slam and thump, W5000 is more natural, textured and detailed there. Never sounds like subwoofer but many, myself included, find its bass one of the best you can get out of headphones. Technically W5000 is a step up from AD2000 but it is quite picky to the source and amplification, plus some might in fact prefer less refined but better well rounded AD2000 signature.
W5000 has mind boggling 3-D soundstage, AD2000 has more forward enclosed feeling. Both are great, but with your starter setup the chances are that AD2000 will suit your better. It works pretty decent out of portable amps.
Save W5000 for later when you build up your system, it will be be one hell of a dessert for sure.

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #13 of 21
thanks for your reply!!

Wow i dont like subwoofer boomy bass, so the W5000 seems like a good option bass wise. When you say its not a subwoofer, you refer to it having deep extended quality bass, but not much bass impact?

Well since i plan on getting a home set up down the road, should i go with the w5000s? I really dont want to get both of them.

My setup right now should be somewhat sufficient till then right?

Sep 23, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #15 of 21
It seems like the W5000s are a better overall headphone.

But the fit issues and the picky nature of the W5000s keep it from becoming a real universal favorite.

Did anyone get a good listen to these?

I really want a tactile description on the sound qualities of the W5000s and AD2000s both individually and comparatively.

Thanks for all efforts so far, really appreciate it, and sorry about my frustration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back