Audio technica m50x vs ath ws99
Jan 19, 2015 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

zarmony

New Head-Fier
Hello guys these gonna be my first "real" headphones. 

So as the title says i can't realy decide between those 2pairs. Any recommendations would be realy helpfull.I would
generaly use those on a bus and maybe at home to. I have seen some people have comfort issues with the ws99 so is it realy that awfull.

If i woulld take the ws99 i could afford aswell a decent amp for roughly 35$.

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 16
1. what is your budget ?
2. what is your musical preference ? are you also planning to use this for gaming, movies ? (are you a basshead)
3. are you also looking for a closed back option for home use ? (you need sound isolation ?)

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #3 of 16
1. 160€ i could up it to 250€ if it would make a realy amazing difference.

2.I listen basicly to evrything tending more to hiphop,clasical,dnb,house,some comercial music.Tested my friends Sony MDR-XB500 and i came to the conclusion that i dont realy need that heavy bass. Yeah some movies but that isnt realy a big thing since i dont watch them on the highest quality and i have games usualy muted and listening to music anyway.

3. Sound isolation is a + but not realy needed.

Also if there are any other headphones that you would reccomend. I was looking into the marshall's and grados headphones but people were saying they are not that comfy and adjustable(marshalls). Initialy i wanted to buy the es55 but they were only available for me on amazon uk for 120 pounds which is realy overpriced for those. Also i wasnt looking to much
into the higher price ranges because evrything in europe costs 30-40$ more.

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 16
all of these seem realy massive and huge(on my impression based on review/pictures) are there any smaller ones with better sound than the m50x? Because for the refference the Sony MDR-XB500 are a bit bigger then the m50x. 

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 16
XB500 pads are like massive tractor tyres imo,  I don't find them very comfortable at all. also sounds like a subwoofer in your head.  I also found M50x has too much clamping force for me. not very comfortable for me.  I don't usually recommend M50x, because they are not technically a better headphone, way overpriced atm. and I don't think MT220 or SoundMagics are that big, those options are far way more comfortable and technically more superior.

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 16
glad you helped me out here. II found they yamaha ones for 160€ which is just 30€ more and on second thought they look pretty decent aswell . The soundmagic hp150 are +40€ so i think i will go with the yamaha. 

So yeah currently i am sure about the yamahas is there anything i should look into before i order them ?

and also for the note do you think they are overrated the m50x or just personal prefference*

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 16
MT220 is very capable headphone which can compete against some of the big mid-fi giants, far better option than M50x,  it should also suit well for bass heavy genres since it has a great bass extension, but don't expect any subwoofer kind boomy bass like XB500 :). and  I hope non-detachable coiled cable on MT220 won't be a deal breaker for you. may be later you want go grab a better headphone amp/dac in the long run, otherwise you are good to go !

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 16
you mean MT220 ? hp150 is not a bad option either,  if it's under your budget.

M50/x got over-hyped mainly because of the Beats audience.  honestly speaking they are not better in terms of technicality, small congested soundstage, grainy treble, refinement is no where near $150-200 giants like HP150,DT770,MT220, M50 used to be under $100 before the overexposure. lol. later they released M50X with a detachable cable.

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #11 of 16
yeah my current choice are the mt220 but i am looking for a decent price for the hp150 since they look better for outside also they seem to be easier to carry around the neck.

Jan 24, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #12 of 16
My family owns both. I use the WS-99's as my commute headphones and bought the M50x's for my wife to use with her portable players.

The M50x has great sound and is slightly more comfortable than the 99's; however, the sound profile on the 99's is far better than the 50x's. I have had the 99's for a year, so, I broke the m50x's in with 200 hours of music before comparing them. The sound stage is slightly wider on the 99's, the midrange is more forward and the bass is deeper, tighter, and more visceral (guess that bass chamber does make a difference). When I hooked up my JDS Soundlabs portable amp, the difference become even more pronounced; it's probably because the amp lets those bigger drivers in the 99's out to play.

To be honest, I did not expect the 99's to be better than the M50X. I was a bit worried that I had bought a weird, dead-end headphone from AT because I hardly ever hear it mentioned here. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the 99's did against the M50X's. I also like that I have a set of phones that doesn't look like every other cookie-cutter phone out there. I get plenty of questions from Beats owners and enjoy letting them try them. I don't talk down the beats, I just let the AT sound speak for itself.

I know that some have mentioned pain with the 99's. I have a massive noggin and normal sized ears. I minimized the possibility of pain by stretching the band. To be truthful, I haven't had any pain. I will say that the oblong cups on the M50x are slightly more comfortable, but I wear my 99's more than 2-hours a day and have had no issues.

I noticed that careful shoppers can get the 99's for around $179 now, vice $169 for the M50X. Hope that helps.

May 31, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 16
Thanks for the comparison! I have a pair of original M50s, and was thinking of either getting the M50x or the WS99. Are the WS99s really that much better than the M50x? I see that the WS99 got a three-star review from Whathifi whereas the M50x got four stars. I listen to rock, rap and electronic music. If you think that the the WS99s are actually better, I just might get them. Thanks.

May 31, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #14 of 16
I have been using both can quite a bit over the last two weeks. I still think the 99's edge out the m50x. Just looked on Amazon and saw them for $115 plus free shipping....

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #15 of 16
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-Pads-for-Audio-Technica-ATH-WS70-ATH-WS77-ATH-WS99-SONY-MDR-V55-Somic-E-95-/271875418699?hash=item3f4d09aa4b:g:9rYAAOSwpdpVW-G3 what about those earpads, I havent tried the original ones I wit for the shipping of mine ws99. Are they still over the ears is the bass and the comfort better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back