Audio Technica M50S OR the V Moda V80
Jan 20, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 19
Both are good starting headphones. Between the two, I like the Vmoda M80 better. Is there a reason you are focusing on just those two?

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 19
feel free to chime in with more recommendations in that price range and along those lines of sound preference :D

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 19
Well let me ask ya some questions then that may help others to narrow down some recommendations.

1. What's your budget?
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  3. What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
  4. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate? pop, rap, rock and r&b
  5. What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
  6. Do you know what kind of sound signature you're trying to find?

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 19
Closed back preferred (im taking over here lol)
Open back considered if its got adequate bass. quality bass
Well produced trance (Ott, Phutureprimitive, Juno realtor), , good techno (spacetime continuum, aphex twin, u-ziq, boards of canada, FSOL and all their silly pseudonyms)  Rap, Metal on the precise industrial side But also on the Claypool side.
Flac and Alac my own cds lossless. Some 24/96 vinyls and actual 24/96 recordings (such as a couple NIN stuffs)
I have a 4th revision (i believe) ODAC with an amp that "will do" for now.

I think (we) are looking for something along the lines of DT770 but maybe cant find quite that right steal on 'em. Or People say the ATH M50 are similar enough why not just go with them for a smidge less. We're looking for Good overall quality sound. perhaps even the Stage and separation of an open back set. But it cant be short on bass either. Smooth Deep reaching bass without too much midbass or muddiness. Well extended treble and good separation overall maybe a tiny bit of brightness is ok but not to a point of harshness or sibilance. A tad bit of warmth but not too much midbass that they might be fatiguing. Low and smooth. 

See a person can go on all day with the words and it can still be easy enough to misinterpret. Even I confuse myself when i try to spell it out like that. So another way to look at it is the quick way... Look at what the person is mentioning. They've been reading at least a little bit..  Do those 2 models have similarities in sound signature? Do they have similarities in design? Do they have similarities in price? Is that perhaps enough to go off of to make another couple of recommendations? 

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 19
What's your budget and where do you want to be using them? Home? Office? Travel?

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 19
Which headphones should i take if listen to pop, rap, rock and r&b?

The headphones are for home use only

Should i spend more money for the v moda or save the money and buy m50?

If you decide to buy the M50's, then just wait a few more weeks, because Audio Technica is about to release the new version of them called ATH-M50x, which will have a removable cable and it's supposedly more comfortable than the normal M50's... :)

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 19
Home mostly. Not much background noise to worry about nor much abuse to the phones to worry about (my answer anyway). 

Budget is i'd like to stay closer to $100 than $200. But if you tell me something is really worth the upper 100s to 200 i am listening...
Also like i said. I have a dac and amp that isn't horrible. So sets that respond well to amping are welcome.
Also i forgot to mention video games and movies of course 

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #9 of 19
Yea thanks for those 3 posts asking about specifics and still managing not to be any help on the matter. That's what i love about this place. To OP you might as well just try to find another thread that didn't end up just more questions answered with more questions.

Thank you endallchaos for some actual helpful info right off the bat. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #11 of 19
I am not going to lie a headphone that has good seperation and soundstage like an open back with good details and bass is going to either A) Cost a lot more or B) is going to be hard to find. You are going to have to decide if either bass or details, soundstage, and seperation are more important to you.

I personally found that the ATH M50s were a bit harsh treble wise, and I personally do not think it was very detailed. It has a good amount of bass, but that feeling "I have to have bass" wore off on me after a while. I find the bass a bit uncontrolled imo. The sound stage quite honestly sucks. Don't get me wrong it sounds like I am bashing, but the main things these have going for them are the excellent build quality and the "fun factor" these have. Excellent starter pair of headphones (I started off on these for about 2 years), but if you want the higher grade of sound you are going to need to throw down more money.

Anyways I owned both and did side to side comparisons. When compared to the M80s, I feel that the M80s edges out the ATH M50s in nearly every way with a very similar sound signature. The build quality is solid, but I am not sure if I liked the feel of them as much. The M80s seem like they can take the same abuse but the m50s are so much heftier that they feel like a tank in comparison. They also scaled surpisingly well with better gear, in comparison to the M50s which most of the time just sounded the same. However all this being said the M80s were not a comfortable headphone for me in any shape or form. The clamping force was too tight and it was really hard for me to keep a proper seal at all times. Also to take into consideration is that these things are SMALL. I was shocked when I opened the box to find these tiny things.

I would also like to throw the Logitech UE6000 in the ring. I only had a limited time with these, but the sound reminded me of the V Moda M80s (edging out the M50s in many ways) but perhaps a little more contained. As in the bass was not as overpowering and did details a bit better.

None of the headphones mentioned above did I find good for gaming or movies. They just did not do details or have good enough sound staging for me. Otherwise for primarily music these are good starter "fun" headphones. I think you are going to have to sacrifice a good amount of  bass if you want more details and separation. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #12 of 19
Hows about k701? Of course I'm doing a fair amount of reading, but am still very indecisive as many of us are. Lol posts like the one above can even set me back whole months thinking should i get those bass slammers like dt770 or m50 or should i reach for that something more that people seem to have "graduated" to. hmmm. I want it all and I'm so cheap i know.

Anyway from what I'm reading the K701s seem to be pretty decent entry into that next level of overall quality while still not lacking for bassheads. And also particularly good with movies supposedly.
Also I'm semi intrigued with the t50rps with intentions for modding. I have a particular question if anybody knows about this are they ok to be recabled down to 3.5mm? From what i understand you just buy some certain v moda cable and plug it in right? But do they work as they should that way. And I suppose more importantly are they worth looking into at all.
SRH840?

Thank you all for your input so far. Sorry for that little rant back there. Low blood sugar.

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #13 of 19
  Hows about k701? Of course I'm doing a fair amount of reading, but am still very indecisive as many of us are. Lol posts like the one above can even set me back whole months thinking should i get those bass slammers like dt770 or m50 or should i reach for that something more that people seem to have "graduated" to. hmmm. I want it all and I'm so cheap i know.

Anyway from what I'm reading the K701s seem to be pretty decent entry into that next level of overall quality while still not lacking for bassheads. And also particularly good with movies supposedly.

Thank you all for your input so far. Sorry for that little rant back there. Low blood sugar.

You are absolutely going in the right direction. Look at the Q701 instead. They are the same can, but evolved. They sound better than the K701, are easier to find, and are very cost effective at this point. Lots of sound for the money you get out of the Q701.

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #14 of 19
Lol my friends tell me im a particularly indecisive person. Like i take forever at the gas station looking at the soft drinks then i walk out with none of them cuz they all got that goT DAMN CORN SYRUP!!! It's downright ironic that i have ever found my way to this web site. My eyes... they burn...

Hey just out of curiosity what are these phones on my 100+ head fi'er automatic avatar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back