Audio Technica M50
May 27, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #31 of 34
Yes, I saw the M50's frequency response plot from GoldenEars, and no, it does not have a V shape.  Munson-Fletcher shows that the human ear is most sensitive in the region where the M50 is said to be recessed, in the mids.  If the M50 were recessed in the area where the human ear is most sensitive, the M50 would have to be really, really recessed, and certainly you'd see something on the frequency response graphs.  As it stands, the graphs show nothing to support this.

The M50's faults are instead its exaggerated bass and wearing discomfort for longer than an hour.

Jun 28, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #33 of 34
The M50 is a great-sounding headphone with some emphasized highs, and while I wouldn't call it v-shaped I'd call it more smiley-shaped. I've heard other cans that are more v-shaped (d1100) and I feel the M50 is more natural and balanced in that regard. 

OP another good headphone to check out is the KRK KNS-8400. More balanced and detailed across the spectrum than the M50. I have both and like both. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #34 of 34
I have a set of M50's' on the way too, did a lot of comparing.  My main purpose is ipod use and also late night computer.  I like these because they don't need an amp but I did hear from an audiophile reviewer that they shine even more with an amp so I will be comparing my stereo receiver to the ipod sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back