Audio Technica M50 with E7 Amp or AKG 272 HD with E5 amp?
Dec 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

draacor

New Head-Fier
So this is funny.  My parents want to get me a christmas gift.  They initially bought me the AKG 272 HD for 230 on Amazon.  However they realized it is now 190 so they returned it.  So then they saw there was a deal where you buy the AKG 272 HD with the FIIO E5 amp and a cable for 217.  They told me this later and said hey why dont you buy them and charge it to us so we dont have to figure it all out. So here I am, ready to pull the trigger on some AKG 272 HD.  However i notice the reviews are 4 out of 5 stars, which in the normal world seems very good however when I see headphones like the M50s for 50 bucks cheaper and better reviewed it has me hesitant.  This is what I want out of a pair of headphones.

More than likely has to be closed.  I used to have a pair of Sen HD 555s and when i would try to wear them in bed my wife would throw a fit.  

I love movie scores mostly and techno.   I also listen to classics like Beatles and such as well.  I will mostly be using it at the computer or in bed watching netflix or other movies.  Oh and the occasional video game.  So basically an all around headphone. 

My question is would i be better served with a lower priced headphone and a nicer amp like the E7?  or go with the higher end Headphone like the AKG 272 HD. 

I really wish i could test these out but there literally isnt anywhere near me that has this equipment.

The headphones I have tried are:

An old set of Bose that i still use at work but they are basically falling apart.
Sony MDR-NC60 - basically what i use now for the PC, probably not the greatest but they work.
I also have a pair of klipsch ear buds, not sure the model but about 40 bucks is what they cost me.
Senheisser HD555 - Ended up giving them up to my parents because my wife was upset she could hear them.
Senheisser HD280 - sound was great but they hurt my head something awful.

I would like to have headphones that had a detachable cable but its not a requirement.

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 9
I do not know about the M50 with the e7, but the e5 almost does very little. the m50s as is, without an amp sound BEAUTIFUL. I owned some for 3 years (they still work flawlessly), but have just upgraded to the V moda m100. Anyway, never got tired of the m50, amazing headphone, at a great price.

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
So this is funny.  My parents want to get me a christmas gift.  They initially bought me the AKG 272 HD for 230 on Amazon.  However they realized it is now 190 so they returned it.  So then they saw there was a deal where you buy the AKG 272 HD with the FIIO E5 amp and a cable for 217.  They told me this later and said hey why dont you buy them and charge it to us so we dont have to figure it all out. So here I am, ready to pull the trigger on some AKG 272 HD.  However i notice the reviews are 4 out of 5 stars, which in the normal world seems very good however when I see headphones like the M50s for 50 bucks cheaper and better reviewed it has me hesitant.  This is what I want out of a pair of headphones.
More than likely has to be closed.  I used to have a pair of Sen HD 555s and when i would try to wear them in bed my wife would throw a fit.  
I love movie scores mostly and techno.   I also listen to classics like Beatles and such as well.  I will mostly be using it at the computer or in bed watching netflix or other movies.  Oh and the occasional video game.  So basically an all around headphone. 
My question is would i be better served with a lower priced headphone and a nicer amp like the E7?  or go with the higher end Headphone like the AKG 272 HD. 
I really wish i could test these out but there literally isnt anywhere near me that has this equipment.
The headphones I have tried are:
An old set of Bose that i still use at work but they are basically falling apart.
Sony MDR-NC60 - basically what i use now for the PC, probably not the greatest but they work.
I also have a pair of klipsch ear buds, not sure the model but about 40 bucks is what they cost me.
Senheisser HD555 - Ended up giving them up to my parents because my wife was upset she could hear them.
Senheisser HD280 - sound was great but they hurt my head something awful.
I would like to have headphones that had a detachable cable but its not a requirement.

When your matching Netflix in bed what is the TV and audio setup?
Get an Asus Xonar DG sound card ($25) for the desktop PC computer.

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #7 of 9
usually when im watching tv or movies in bed its on my ipad with netflix, amazon prime, or hbo go.  I actually pulled the trigger last night and bought the AKG K271 MKII as recommended by MalVeauX and from reading online about them.  They seem to be tailored to my needs more than the others.  I got it for 135 so i had about 100 left over so I bought the FiiO E07K Amp to compliment them.  Hope I made a decent purchase combo :)

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
usually when im watching tv or movies in bed its on my ipad with netflix, amazon prime, or hbo go.  I actually pulled the trigger last night and bought the AKG K271 MKII as recommended by MalVeauX and from reading online about them.  They seem to be tailored to my needs more than the others.  I got it for 135 so i had about 100 left over so I bought the FiiO E07K Amp to compliment them.  Hope I made a decent purchase combo :)

Does the iPad come with a USB port?
Or are you just going to use the E07K as an amplifier?

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #9 of 9
the ipad doesnt automatically have a usb but i have that CCK adapter i think will work, otherwise ill probably just use it as an AMP for the ipad and the DAC for the pc when im on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back