Audio technica m50 with bass amp?
Mar 15, 2012 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sneaglebob

100+ Head-Fier
I have a quick question about these cans, will buying a cheap fiio headphone amp with bass boost actually make the impact of the bass stronger or something else? I am considering buying the m50's and i listen to hip hop and sometimes drum and bass so I wan't to know if this combination will work for me.

(I apologize in advance if this question is similar to my others)

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
I have a quick question about these cans, will buying a cheap fiio headphone amp with bass boost actually make the impact of the bass stronger or something else? I am considering buying the m50's and i listen to hip hop and sometimes drum and bass so I wan't to know if this combination will work for me.

(I apologize in advance if this question is similar to my others)

If that's your plan, save your money, and get the M-Audio Q40 instead.

You can even get the Fiio E6 and the DT770 velour pads and meet your same original budget (ie, M50+E6). Superior. I'm a massive dubstep/brostep listener, with M50's. There are better options. But, end of the day, we all have preferences/opinions.

Very best,

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 6
Depends on the amp, some do a good job of bass boost, some don't.

I've owned the Fiio E6 (which isn't super powerful, but the M50 isn't super power-hungry I think) and it had a couple of pretty good bass boost settings that I enjoyed with my JH13. 
I've also read that the Digizoid ZO is especially good for adding bass.

But why not try the M50 first, and see if the bass is lacking? It might have enough bass for you. 

Edit: Ehhh, as usual Mal has rendered my post redundant. =P Forget what I said, just go with his advice--Mal's got more experience'n me!

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 6
I have the m50 with a fiio e6, a cheap but decent amp by head-fi standards.  When I first got the M50 it was very unimpressive out of the headphone jack of my laptop.  I previously had cheap JVC HA-RX700's that I got used to and wanted better headphones, and these m50's sounded not much better.  But when I used it with the fiio e6 amp on the 3rd setting (out of 4 settings), i was WHOA What HOLY ****!@@!@  The sound was so much better, and even while listening to hip pop songs from the early 2000's like G-Unit, and today's hip pop songs/rap songs, I feel the bass thumping my ears for some of the songs.  The bass was more improved, and I could hear the sound literally engulfing my ear.  The best part is that the mids are still clear, and not overwhelmed by the bass.  I say go for the M50s + a decent amp.  But I wouldnt advise getting the M50s alone.  Just my 2 cents.

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
I have the m50 with a fiio e6, a cheap but decent amp by head-fi standards.  When I first got the M50 it was very unimpressive out of the headphone jack of my laptop.  I previously had cheap JVC HA-RX700's that I got used to and wanted better headphones, and these m50's sounded not much better.  But when I used it with the fiio e6 amp on the 3rd setting (out of 4 settings), i was WHOA What HOLY ****!@@!@  The sound was so much better, and even while listening to hip pop songs from the early 2000's like G-Unit, and today's hip pop songs/rap songs, I feel the bass thumping my ears for some of the songs.  The bass was more improved, and I could hear the sound literally engulfing my ear.  The best part is that the mids are still clear, and not overwhelmed by the bass.  I say go for the M50s + a decent amp.  But I wouldnt advise getting the M50s alone.  Just my 2 cents.

Thank you very much for your reply, Maybe I might consider it.

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 6
If you want something bassy right out of the box, an M-Audio Q40 or Ultrasone HFI-580 may be the best route. Otherwise, a bass-boost FiiO would do the job, but a CMoyBB would do it better sonically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back