Audio-Technica M50 vs M50x vs M70x vs MSR-7 (I will Stick with the M50)
Jul 3, 2016 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Jimbob Andrews

Head-Fier
The first pair of headphones that I bought for sound quality was the Superlux HD 668b. I loved them but the only time I use headphones is when others are around and do not want to hear what I am listening to. Soon after I bought the Audio-Technica M50. I loved it from the start. Since, I have had a chance to try some closed headphones such as Beyerdynamic T5p, Ultrasone Signature Pro,  Mr. Speaker Alpha Primes, Sony MDR-z7,  Hifiman HE-560 (open & impractical for me). Steve Guttenberg really liked the sound of the MSR-7 so I decided to give it a shot. I obtained a pair of Ultrasone Signature Pros off his recommendation and was amazed by how uncomfortable and boomy they were, but I loved my M50s so it was worth a try. After trying those, I traded them for the M70x. I also borrowed a pair of M50x. Here are my thoughts.​

MSR-7 reveal way more than the M50, and give you the feeling that they are neutral as highs and lows are not overly emphasized. I feel like the mids were just pumped up to give that feeling. Unfortunately, the sound is fatiguing as there is a quality to the sound of being in a tin can.  I am going to call it a "tinny" sound. Compared to the Beyerdynamic DT 770, these headphones do not have a place.​
Compared to the M50, the M50 has stronger bass. There is a clearness to the music playing from the MSR-7 that the M50 cannot touch, but the M50 is enjoyable and the MSR-7 is not. Both are rather uncomfortable. At first the MSR-7 seemed way more comfortable as I was noticing the feel of the material. The MSR-7 becomes more uncomfortable as the hours roll on due to less padding and the fact that heat gets trapped causing my ears to sweat. Over the long haul I prefer the comfort afforded by the M50.​

M70x has the clarity of the MSR-7 (neither one of these headphones match the clarity of the Primes, T5p, or MDR-z7 which is most noticeable in imperfections in the recording) but sounds much more natural. The Bass is laid back to a fault on the M70x. The sound stage is the best out of these Audio-Technicas. The high, unfortunately had me decreasing the volume on the Schiit Asgard that I tried these on. They are that exaggerated on the M70x. In regards to comfort I felt the same about the  M70x & M50x, as the MSR-7​

The sound is different between the M50 & M50x but I am sure it is just the pad. I like the build quality much more on the M50. I have beat to hell my M50 and do not get the feeling the M50x would take that. ​

I listened to these albums straight through on all the headphones but ranging within almost three weeks. ​
Agnes Obel - Philharmonics​
Aborea – Red Planet
The Polish Ambassador - Pushing Through The Pavement
Julianna Barwick-Nepenthe
James Vincent McMorrow – Post Tropical
Brown Bird – Tautology
Stravansky - Rites of Spring

I will keep my M50, but have no use for the rest. If $300 was as nice as I can afford than I would go with Beyerdynamic DT 770.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back