Audio Technica M50 vs Denon D2000
Apr 8, 2015 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SaurabhJain

New Head-Fier
I've been looking to upgrade my M50. I found a guy who's selling the D2000 for around $150.

M50 sound okay to me, I feel they're too cramped. I want good, fast bass, not too concerned about the quantity. I've a HD598 too, so this will be my more "fun" headphone.

Soundstage is important to me as that and comfort is what keeps me from using the M50 over the 598.

I've read that the D2000's midrange is not that good. I'm okay with it unless it's too bad since the 598 has good mids.

Details and clarity are important to me.

So, will the D2000 be a significant upgrade for me? (In terms of detail, soundstage, bass)

EDIT: The D2000 I'm looking at has stock pads, but their pleather is off and now it's kinda like a velour pad now, if that makes any difference in the bass section.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 7
The D2000 is at least a tier above the M50, with a similar sound signature.  It has excellent (and somewhat emphasized) bass and sub-bass.  It's a closed can, so you won't get the sound stage of an open HD 598.  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/luscious-denon-ah-d2000-ah-d50000-and-ah-d7000

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm mainly concerned about the midrange. I've read that the D2000's have recessed mids, especially upper mids, such that female vocals sound distant. Is it too much of an issue coming from M50?

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 7
  I'm mainly concerned about the midrange. I've read that the D2000's have recessed mids, especially upper mids, such that female vocals sound distant. Is it too much of an issue coming from M50?

It isn't for me relative to the mids-recessed M50.

I'm not sure of the condition of the D2000 you are considering.  However for a D2000 in good condition or better, $150 is a steal.

Why don't you try them before you buy?

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 7

I'm not sure of the condition of the D2000 you are considering.  However for a D2000 in good condition or better, $150 is a steal.

Condition is good, just the pleather is off, not sure how it would affect bass. http://i.imgur.com/XOELwlH.jpg Here's the photo. Can't try them.

I didn't get what you mean by "relative to the mid-recessed M50". If it's like M50 or just a bit more recessed, I'm okay with it. If it's like very recessed as in a U shape, maybe I'll think twice about it.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 7

I actually can't try the D2000s, the condition is okay though, the pleather has worn off but the rest of the condition is fine.

I didn't understand "relative to the mids-recessed M50". If the mids are as recessed as M50 or maybe a bit more, I'm okay with it. If it's too much recessed, kinda like a sharp V or U shape, maybe I'll think twice.

Also, how does it compare to my 598. I know it isn't really fair, and 598 has more soundstage, and D2000 has more bass, but if it were between the two, what would you like?

May 18, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #7 of 7
I actually can't try the D2000s, the condition is okay though, the pleather has worn off but the rest of the condition is fine.

I didn't understand "relative to the mids-recessed M50". If the mids are as recessed as M50 or maybe a bit more, I'm okay with it. If it's too much recessed, kinda like a sharp V or U shape, maybe I'll think twice.

Also, how does it compare to my 598. I know it isn't really fair, and 598 has more soundstage, and D2000 has more bass, but if it were between the two, what would you like?

I am all about impact on my headphones I know I would love having the D2000s way more. What ended up happening to that $150 pair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back