FWWI, I'm a noob and I just got my ATH-M50's. I also own

SR80i
Sol Republic Tracks V8
Philips O'Neil "The Stretch"

and I've owned

V-Moda Crossfade LP1
V-Moda M80
Skullcandy Crushers

Why is all that important? Because the ATH-M50 is my favorite one. And I'm using it sans amp for now. I think the hype behind the M50's are accurate. The part people need to understand is that there are better headphones than the M50 out there. But not for $101 (what I paid) :)

May 19, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 9
There is a lot of disagreement on whether they need an amp.  I'm convinced it depends on the source and the type of music you listen to.  I use mine primarily with an Ipod and listen mostly to jazz.  I need very clear headphones that clearly separate the notes and different instruments.  For me they benefit greatly with a line out and the E11.    Some types of music don't need the same degree of separation, and you  may have a better source.  The thing to remember about amps is that it is not about volume, but about tightening up the sound.  

May 19, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 9
My cousin owns and M50, and we a/b'ed them extensively using my amps.  Our conclusion is that we "think it might sound better" when amped, meaning that the benefits of amping it are very minimal.  I personally think they sound fantastic without an amp, and would only get an amp if you already or plan to get harder to drive headphones in the future.  For some headphones such as my Amperiors that I use to own, I actually think it sounds worse when amped.

May 19, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #5 of 9
Yes, they sound great straight out of just about any source. Amping just adds that last maybe 5% of remaining detail.

May 20, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #9 of 9
I just did the test for you right now with an iPod and 'uncompressed' WAV files 16bit CD quality music: unamped they sound great, but amped they sound fantastic, simple as that. Without an amp you will be happy, but the clarity and definition that comes through when they're amped is a noticeable difference.

I hadn't listen to them for a couple of weeks, so just now when i listened to them unamped, i thought WOW that sounds great, but they will definitely need more volume if you like to listen to your music a bit louder than normal, but then i plugged in the FiiO E12 (classy amp!) and BANG! Now where talking.More detail, better instrument separation, more depth, better treble sound, better soundstage stereo imaging. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back