Audio-Technica m30x or Superlux HD681B?
Dec 18, 2014 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Wunderborg

New Head-Fier
Hi,

For Christmas, I wanted to buy a pair of monitor headphones for my friend. I own a pair of Superlux HD681B (balanced, so more neutral, but not as much as the N), which I very much like, altough the fact that they are semi-open can be a bit of a problem in noisy environments or when wearing in public. I also have the Audio-Technica m50 and have tried the m30x, and, to me, the m30x is almost as good as the m50(x) (and maybe more balanced even) for less than half the price.

Basically, I could get the two headphones for the same price (I work at a store where they sell the m30x and I can get about a 1/3 rebate, so basically $65 before taxes and all). My budget is basically $80 and I would like to get him the best sound possible.

I would buy the m30x right away if it wasn't for the fact that, to me, they sound less neutral, have less soundstage and less details in the highs and mids than the HD681B, altough they do have more bass. Since I want to get him the best sound possible (aka the most neutral but still enjoyable sound possible), which pair should I get him (preferably from the two models I've mentionned, or, if you have 100 times better suggestions, please tell, altough it has to respect my budget)? Oh and btw, he's an electronic music producer (and when I say electronic, I don't mean EDM or club music, not even house), but he only uses his speakers, which I think is not the best thing to get the best idea of what your music really sounds like (since hearing it with different pieces of equipment is a plus in the end).

So, what do you think? The HD681B or the m30x?

Thanks already,

Wunderborg

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 2
Amazon gift certificates are always nice... :p

I think closed headphones make a better gift because they are more appropriate for a wider variety of uses. I also think the Audio-Technica have excellent build quality and make a better impression when you hold them. Just my opinion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back