Audio-Technica M30 vs M40 vs M50 vs Denon AH-NC800 vs Bayerdynamic Custom One Pro
Jan 27, 2014 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mesmerized

Head-Fier
Hello again,

OK, I've narrowed down my choice (and I hope it's the right selection) to the following headphones:

Audio-Technica M30
Audio-Technica M40
Audio-Technica M50
Denon AH-NC800
Bayerdynamic Custom One Pro

1) My first question is - will they run well with my iPod Classic?
2) I'm kind of leaning towards M30s or M40s but if there's going to be a considerable sound improvement, I'm willing to spend a bit more. 

I don't want to have this dull, muddy sound that comes from my AKG K420 anymore. I love listening to music on my way to work or on the bus or in the evening at home.

Much obliged for any suggestions.

Cheers,

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 10
I'm a little confused. You go all the way from the $59 ATH-M30 to the $250+ Denon NC800 that have active noise cancellation. There's a lot of space in-between those two extremes.

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #3 of 10
I'm a little confused. You go all the way from the $59 ATH-M30 to the $250+ Denon NC800 that have active noise cancellation. There's a lot of space in-between those two extremes.

That's because I've found a second hand pair of NC800 for a low price. Anyway, I'm leaning towards M50s but I'm concerned about my ipod's ability to run them...

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #5 of 10
At some point, you just need to make your selection and pull the trigger. You won't know if you like them until you hear them. If you don't like them, or if you get curious about other 'phones (and you will), then sell them and try something else. Unfortunately, we can't possibly give opinions on how every used headphone on the planet compares to every other headphone. I'm not trying to flame you - I'm just trying to get you off the analysis paralysis part and on to the enjoying your headphones part!

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #6 of 10
At some point, you just need to make your selection and pull the trigger. You won't know if you like them until you hear them. If you don't like them, or if you get curious about other 'phones (and you will), then sell them and try something else. Unfortunately, we can't possibly give opinions on how every used headphone on the planet compares to every other headphone. I'm not trying to flame you - I'm just trying to get you off the analysis paralysis part and on to the enjoying your headphones part!

Thanks again, I see your point and I totally agree that over-analyzing is a dead-end... The thing is that 100$ or 150$ is gonna set me back at this point and I'd like to make the best choice possible with as little regrets as possible. The problem is that M50, Technics RP 1200, Bayerdynamic Custom One Pro and AKG 450-480NC are more or less within the same price range... (I don't even know if the noise cancelling works well on those 480s)

The basic question is - will the iPod Classic be able to run them?

PS. If there's anyone here who has ever used any of the above-mentioned headphones, please drop a line or two.

Jan 31, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 10
What kind of sound are you looking for? A lot of this comes down to what your looking for. I own the M30s and while they have decent sound after about 40 hours of burn in, there nothing compared with my beyerdynamic dt250 headphones. They are a lot more comfortable than the Monitor 50s, and have much more detailed mids. They aren't bass cans that will rattle your head, but they also have a decent amount for typical use. Thats why it comes down to what your looking for. The price range you mentioned is really open. What I can tell you from personal experience is that while the M30s sound good and have many positive reviews they sound nothing like the beyerdynamic dt250s. Though if you do choose beyerdynamic dt250, make sure your buying an d80ohm version. I can power these with an iphone and they sound great. Nice rich bass, very clear mids....A lot of headphones that you will find under 50 will offer you a very v shapped sound.  You will have your bass and trebles, but lack the mids.  Or if they have treble (like the sennheiser 280 pros, they will sound tinny in comparison. 

If your open to an open ear design, I cant speak highly enough on the sennheiser 558 and 598s. Both very similar sounding phones and extremly comfortable. But if closed is what your looking for I would spend a little more, make it the bang for your buck since this is a long term investment, and try them out.  Give them a good 20 hours to burn in and they are sure to impress. There selling on ebay right now for 129.99.

If your looking to play it cheaper, while more V shaped sounding, the m30s are fun to listen to. But its all about what your specicifications are. You will definatly have more luck in the 100-150 range. The drivers are simply better sounding. If you can afford it I would recommend it. If not I would definatly take a look at the 518s if your open to an open headphone design. There more afforable and Ive compared them side by side with the HD 600s and they sound VERY similar. 

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #8 of 10
  What kind of sound are you looking for? A lot of this comes down to what your looking for. I own the M30s and while they have decent sound after about 40 hours of burn in, there nothing compared with my beyerdynamic dt250 headphones. They are a lot more comfortable than the Monitor 50s, and have much more detailed mids. They aren't bass cans that will rattle your head, but they also have a decent amount for typical use. Thats why it comes down to what your looking for. The price range you mentioned is really open. What I can tell you from personal experience is that while the M30s sound good and have many positive reviews they sound nothing like the beyerdynamic dt250s. Though if you do choose beyerdynamic dt250, make sure your buying an d80ohm version. I can power these with an iphone and they sound great. Nice rich bass, very clear mids....A lot of headphones that you will find under 50 will offer you a very v shapped sound.  You will have your bass and trebles, but lack the mids.  Or if they have treble (like the sennheiser 280 pros, they will sound tinny in comparison. 

Thanks a lot Stevenboe13, I'm getting close to the final step!

I'm looking at DT250s now. I see that DT770s are within the same price range. Which of those would you suggest? And how do Audio-Technica M50s stand against them?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Bayerdynamic Custom One Pro are within the same price range too but I have no idea what they're worth.

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #9 of 10
Ipod should have no trouble running M50s or custom one pros. Those two are very similar in sound from what I heard, though I haven't tried the Custom One Pros yet. The DT770s will be bassy, and will require an AMP to power them unless you get the 32 ohm version which your ipod might be able to power adequately (but will still probably benefit from an AMP).

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 10
  Ipod should have no trouble running M50s or custom one pros. Those two are very similar in sound from what I heard, though I haven't tried the Custom One Pros yet. The DT770s will be bassy, and will require an AMP to power them unless you get the 32 ohm version which your ipod might be able to power adequately (but will still probably benefit from an AMP).

Thank you Adisib. Another important piece of information that gets me closer to the final choice. 

So... now the choice is basically bewteen DT250s and M50s... I'd also add Grado SR60 - cheaper and great for classic rock as far as I know. The only problem is that they're open headphones.

PS. I listen to a lot of blues, some acuostic stuff and classic rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back