Audio Technica Leatherhead - Initial Impressions
Feb 18, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #16 of 30
They get my vote for the best looking and certainly te best smelling headphones.

Feb 19, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #17 of 30
The "Greenies" is the best looking and smelling headphones that I've ever put my hands on, too bad the price is also a little overpriced for me. It is the best looking shade of green(very different from the picture posted) and it has gone to one luckiest guy in China. Serial no. 0025 of 50.
Quote:

Originally posted by warubozu
headphonecrazy,

Were you ever able to sell those limited green edition of the leatherhead you had in the buy/sell forum recently? I have a friend in Japan who bought a pair and was seriously considering buying them from him. But the thought of being completely flat broke and my second thoughts on the green color helped to see the light and come back to reality.

:

Feb 19, 2004 at 1:14 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by headphonecrazy
The "Greenies" is the best looking and smelling headphones that I've ever put my hands on, too bad the price is also a little overpriced for me. It is the best looking shade of green(very different from the picture posted) and it has gone to one luckiest guy in China. Serial no. 0025 of 50.
:

Was there any difference in sound or packaging between the Greenie and the regular Leatherhead?

Feb 19, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
Was there any difference in sound or packaging between the Greenie and the regular Leatherhead?

FYI, the packaging is the same but the leather do look like of a higher grade, + a almost 1000bucks difference!
frown.gif

Mar 2, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #20 of 30
Any more opinions on these phones from you owners? Any of you guys sorry you got them? Any info about these phones and gear your using would be great. Thanks.

Mar 2, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
Any more opinions on these phones from you owners? Any of you guys sorry you got them? Any info about these phones and gear your using would be great. Thanks.

Gotta agree -- after all that anticipation, we are hoping to vicariously share in your thrill of ownership and use.

Mar 2, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #22 of 30
lol audio technica is going to take all my money! I love the ath-w2002 which I just got (yesterday) so much... and I am already wanting the l3000
frown.gif
Wanted to know if any one else got thier's for $1,600 or under though. A fellow head-fi'er (musk, low poster) got his for only $1,600 ( although he got them in Taiwan).
At that kind of price they not only seem affordable, but a good competitor to the r10( even more so if the l3000 is better then it lol).

Mar 2, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Chefguru
lol audio technica is going to take all my money! I love the ath-w2002 which I just got (yesterday) so much... and I am already wanting the l3000
frown.gif
Wanted to know if any one else got thier's for $1,600 or under though. A fellow head-fi'er (musk, low poster) got his for only $1,600 ( although he got them in Taiwan).
At that kind of price they not only seem affordable, but a good competitor to the r10( even more so if the l3000 is better then it lol).

What source and amp are you using with the W2002?

Mar 2, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #24 of 30
The Leatherheads have gone back into their bag for the moment. I'm waiting on a new dynamic amplifier being built by a couple of head-fiers to really do these justice.

When the amp arrives I want to have a small group of objective high-enders get together and compare the R-10 to the Leatherhead, to the Weebl/Omega, and to the 650/Blockhead, to see if we can come to some meeting of the ears. Considering the money I have tied up in these, I'm sometimes a little less than unbiased when talking about them. I have to admit that there is something in my head that says, "You spent $5,000 on that combo, you'd better like 'em!"

In the meantime I'm breaking in the Weebl, and having quite a bit of fun in the process.

I hope to have the new amplifier sometime in the next couple of weeks. (Actually the guts have been done for a while, its just waiting on custom case work.) I'll post on the Leatherhead more at that time.

Mar 3, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
What source and amp are you using with the W2002?

Sony ca70es. It looks like the 222es , no SACD though but much better redbook.
It's just threw my source's headphone ( which isn't to bad with low inpendance cans). But i'm getting a sudgen modded .. or ha3000 if I find the money

Mar 3, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #26 of 30
Since receiving my L3000 just before Christmas I haven't spent much time with them to give any impressions. I too am trying to scrape up enough cash to buy a decent amp for the Leatherheads. Looking to purchase a Singlepower Supra or a Stealth soon. Do I regret making the purchase? No, I don't think so. I don't think the can will sound so bad that it would make me kill myself over the investment. If the L3000 is an improvement over the W1000 I would be happy.

Mar 3, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #29 of 30
I did audition the L3000 with the DHA3000 amp. This pairing is the perfect combo in synergy, musicality n timing, if you feed a good digital source to the amp. I would have bought the amp if not for the price (ouch). It has all the inputs n controls that any headfier will love - digital volume pot, eq, manual + auto impedancer, a very fine bass n treble control, not to mention the most gorgeous chasis design for a headphone amp.

I'm currently running the L3000 out of my AD 8610 XP-7 with very good results and I'm hoping to audition the new Naim Headline with it soon. I'll have to let a little secret out, there is this little magic between the Naim n the L3000 which imho absolutely heavenly.
biggrin.gif

BTW, did a comparison between the L3000, W2002 n W1000, still find the L3000 2B more musical n natural sounding.

Mar 3, 2004 at 2:53 PM Post #30 of 30
I am loving my L3000's as well. Still getting aclimated to their sound with different genres, amps, and vis a vis other cans (hd650's, R10's), so not ready to do any definitive comments.

I do like them - a lot! They are beautiful, comfortable, and definitely have more fullness, detail, accuracy, and (most of all) sounstage than the W100's and W1000's that I also owned.

So far, I've spent most listening time with a Grace 901 - a wonderful combination. Shorter stints with a MAX and Stealth were also supremely enjoyable. I have no favorite amp for them yet.

My Leatherheads are still getting better with each listen - approaching 50 hours now, so still some breaking in to go, but imho, these are destined to be great cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back