Audio Technica Leatherhead - Initial Impressions
Feb 17, 2004 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

smokey

500+ Head-Fier
I just received a new toy, the Audio Technica "leatherhead" headphone. I know some folks that have heard them didn't think they were all that good, but I've got to tell you that based on an initial listen through a modest amplifier (Modded Sugden) and my Sony SACD player it sounds very nice. I think I'm safe to say that it kicks the snot out of the W2002. The real question, "Is it better than the Sony R-10?" will need to wait for more listening time. So far the initial listen tells me that the R-10 might be better on top, but the AT doesn't have that over emphasized sound stage that I associate with the Sony.

I bought these used for substantially less than new retail. They do smell like the inside of a new car with leather seat covers. Or perhaps a new baseball mitt.

If anyone is interested, I'll keep you posted, especially when I get my new uber-secret dynamic amp delivered sometime in the next month or two.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 17, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 30
I'd love to hear more. Compared to all your phones in different areas, that will give the owners of other phones than the R10's a reference point. Also comfort and size.

Feb 17, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 30
I am sure interested! I have really given a lot of thought to picking up a set of these cans based purely on the strength of the W2002s with my carlo modded Sugden Headmaster. The ambivalent reviews have held me back, but they sure haven't made me feel good about it, I didn't feel I could place a lot of faith in them. The W2002 to Headmaster combination is one of my favorite setups. I would love to hear your impressions!

Feb 17, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #4 of 30
Tom Hankins,

I can tell you this, they seem to be about the same size as the 2002s, maybe a little heavier. Smaller, and much closer to the head, obviously, than the R-10. Comfort wise, they seem quite nice. Much better that an HP-1 (insert your choice of Grado here), maybe a little less so than the R-10. They also don't grip my head quite as forcefully as the Senn 600/650, and therefore in comparison seem to be more comfortable. Then again its not hot here yet, and the leather hasn't caused me to start to sweat. That is always a nice thing for the Senns and their velour earpads.

One thing I've found out, is that these things will push BIG BASS. I'm listening to the Burmester 3 sampler, cut 10 is called Yim Hok-Man, "Poem of Chinese Drums." I swear that I might have lost a filling. I've got a thing for acoustic bass, especially from large drums, and this headphone seems to do them justice. I can't ever remember hearing such bass from the R-10s, but that may be a function of my dynamic amp.

Feb 17, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by smokey
I swear that I might have lost a filling. I've got a thing for acoustic bass, especially from large drums, and this headphone seems to do them justice.

Heh, that sounds like a good start!
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 30
Smokey: I, too. have recently acquired L3000's and agree with your initial impressions. I am not ready to post anything of detail yet, because have a LOT more listening and comparing to do. Also, I have a Stealth on the way, and want to do comparisons driven by the Stealth.

I will be comparing with R10's and HD650's with Oelbach cable.

My initial emotional response to the L3000's is excellent - love the look, feel and craftsmanship. They are extremely comfortable and just very pleasing to my ears - I just feel good listening with them.

I look forward to your further impressions, and will be doing posts of my own soon.

Feb 18, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 30
I was reading Audiogon, just to pass the time a few days ago. I saw an ad for a used Leatherhead, from Jeff's Sound Values, for substantially less than the new stock price. I jumped at the chance, having never seen these for sale used. They said they got them from a "good customer" from Corpus Cristi, TX. I would assume that must be a head-fier, but I don't know for sure. Who else in the States would know about these things.?

They are in perfect condition, near as I can tell. They came with all of the paperwork, and boxes. One thing I don't like is the box. I much prefer the 2002 style case. Better yet would have been a slightly less perfect version of the one for the R-10. The leather bag doesn't really protect them from much.

Feb 18, 2004 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
May I ask, for new US leatherhead owners, how did you end up buying your headphones?

As for myself, I was on the pre-order waiting list at Audiocubes.

Feb 18, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by headphonecrazy
Welcome to Team "Leatherhead"
cool.gif

Beats the hell out of Team Rockhead!
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #14 of 30
headphonecrazy,

Were you ever able to sell those limited green edition of the leatherhead you had in the buy/sell forum recently? I have a friend in Japan who bought a pair and was seriously considering buying them from him. But the thought of being completely flat broke and my second thoughts on the green color helped to see the light and come back to reality.

Feb 18, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #15 of 30
Please keep the info on the phones rolling in. Also the music and gear your using. I didn't realize there were that many pair out there. Keep us in the loop. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back