Audio technica Im04
Feb 18, 2014 at 8:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JuzModa

100+ Head-Fier
Hi fellow head fiers! May i please ask for advise for this iem? I am confused whether to buy this or the im03 . What are the main differences. I listen to electronic, metal, pop. Yup this kind of stuff.
And Also if you dont mind. Can you answer me whether it is true that the more expensive a iem is. The better build quality it has and the better sound it has too? Like The fitear 334?

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi fellow head fiers! May i please ask for advise for this iem? I am confused whether to buy this or the im03 . What are the main differences. I listen to electronic, metal, pop. Yup this kind of stuff.
And Also if you dont mind. Can you answer me whether it is true that the more expensive a iem is. The better build quality it has and the better sound it has too? Like The fitear 334?

Your first answer can be found here.

Your second answer is a very strong NO.

As for the Fitear you used as an example, it is only one of several IEM's that are outstanding, but you can get close to the same quality and spend a lot less.

Mar 8, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi, I have IM04, and have tested IM03.

They are very different and IM04 is not really an upgrade from IM03.

IM04 has thick and smooth sound with lot of detail. A little bass heavy and some people call it "dark" but it is very good for long hours of listening.

IM03 on the other hand is more ordinary type. It gives more sparkle in treble and the sound has less thickness.
This may easily lead to impression like "oh this one has wider sound stage as well as more detailed sound !" and in fact many people claim IM03 is just superior.

I personally think that is not true and the more I listen to IM04, I can realize the sound is also very detailed.
(Can be that actually IM04 is more detailed with a help of an extra BA unit)

So it is really up to your preference, but I can say both are at outstanding level as universal IEM - enough to compete against Westones or Shures.

If you have UM Mage and SE425, may be IM03 has closer nature.
In other words if you are looking for something different, IM04 should be the way to go... but in that case be aware that you can be surprised by its "dark" sound sig at first. 

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 6
I was tempted with the IM04's for the longest time, had them in my Amazon Japan checkout basket for weeks. Then decided just to go with the IM03's, based on the reviews. When they get released in the States, and go through the eventual Amazon price drop, I may pick them up then. They do sound like something I would want to hear.
On the other hand, I am very happy with the IM03's.

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #6 of 6
I was tempted with the IM04's for the longest time, had them in my Amazon Japan checkout basket for weeks. Then decided just to go with the IM03's, based on the reviews. When they get released in the States, and go through the eventual Amazon price drop, I may pick them up then. They do sound like something I would want to hear.
On the other hand, I am very happy with the IM03's.

For me IM04s are like the excitement version of S-EM6, with sharpened sound and more treble quantity.
You might as well be interested.

Thanks guys! :) in the i bought the se53ltd istead! Its good right?

535LTDs are actually brighter sound version of normal 535s.
To my taste they are too light on bass, but if you are OK with that part, they will be good buddies for you I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back