Audio Technica Headphones Broke -- Taking them apart and repairing them.
May 24, 2012 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

thelion

New Head-Fier
Hi! I hope this is the right place to post this.

My ATH-A700 closed back headphone fell from a table recently. Now, they no longer make any sound at some frequencies, but work as usual at others. Thus, audio is distorted, and they must be damaged in some way.

I took them apart, and snapped several photos before doing anything. I checked all the wiring, and it is not at all damaged. The two very thin wires that go to the voice coils inside the aluminum protection grid are not severed, so far as I can see.

So I do not see any damage, but the sound has changed after the fall, e.g., several low frequencies are no longer audible, and several others cannot be heard.

The aluminum grid has been glued in place, so that I cannot open it without damage to the plastic and check further for other damage.

What could have been damaged? Any ideas from people who have more experience?

Best regards.

May 24, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 4
If I use a pair of headphones with a mic with a phone with different trrs-configuration, severeal frequency-ranges almost completely dissappear, especially vocals. This might me something similar, a problem with the plug I mean.

May 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 4
That sounds like my problem.

Could it be that the plug was yanked when the headphones fell?

If so, what could be damaged in the plug, and any ideas on how to fix that, if at all? 

May 25, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 4
I am working to replace the jack plug, but having trouble with the fact that wires are so thin: there is much white thread from each cord hosuing cord that must be removed out of the way to cleanly connect it.

I assume gold/copper housing indicates ground, blue housing indicates left side or tip probe of the replacement stereo jack, and red housing indicates right side or ring probe of the jack.

In the meantime, are there any electronics that might have been damaged by the fall from the table? There are two pieces of PCB to which all wiring connects, but it is glued in place and I cannot remove it to see the other side. Is anything there which might break off by a shock?

P.S.
Now that I have no headphones for a while, I've decided to use this excuse to upgrade my sound system.

I bought a iBasso D7 DAC, and am selecting a new headphone as a replacement if this one stays broken after replacing the jack, or as a complement if this one I can fix. Denon D2000, ATh-A900X, or Beyerdynamic T70 maybe, although that last one is getting expensive for me right now? I mostly listen to orchestral, classical, and vocal + symphonic music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back